It Looks Like Systemd 231 Will Soon Be Released, Adds MemoryDenyWriteExecute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Okay, but even if we accept that, why assume that Intel specifically chose to not support the NX bit in its initial 64-bit CPU's as a way to force people to upgrade? The systems out there with P4 hardware are probably still running XP/Vista or maybe upgraded to Win7. I really doubt a lot of people out there thought, "Damn! Now I have to go get a new system to run Win 8/10 because of the NX bit. Everything else is running great! This P4 and Geforce FX 5300 run wonderfully! Cursed Intel and their greed!"

You have to realize that Intel and AMD didn't sit down in a room together and develop x86-64, and that the technology was going to take some time to standardize, especially without a lot of mainstream users (XP-64 was a niche at best and Intel was focued on Itanium64/IA64 in server space).
    People are equally surprised here when the latest Intel Mesa drivers don't provide OpenGL 4.5 on GMA 4500 (from 2008). Must be a conspiracy! The evil Intel is forcing all first gen core2duo users to upgrade to at least Haswell!

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      Guess what, after starting the default desktop + firefox + libreoffice writer, the results are:
      32-bit:
      total 4042M
      used 618M
      available 2998M

64-bit
      total 3951M
      used 812M
      available 2816M
      That's around 200 mb more, but in your actual PC (not this VM that has 4GB by fiat) you had 300 mb wasted by 32bit limitations.
      Net gain of going to 64bit is 100 mb in your case.
      Which is what I was saying. 32bit may make sense for 3GB or less, NOT on 4GB or more.

In my 2GB netbook the difference was around 100-150-ish, and imho that's not a whole fucking lot, considering that that is a 2GB system and that it isn't going to see much more than Firefox and libreoffice and VLC.

On 1GB or less systems maybe, but really, most of them have been scrapped by now, and when you can get a core duo system for 20$ off ebay it makes little sense to cling to them anyway.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 25 July 2016, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Duh... Only some of the Prescotts were 64bits, those that were was a small portion of the total
        As I said, Intel added 64bit and NX to LATE prescotts, as it was an architecture launched in 2004, so it could not start with 64bits and NX as that was AMD's technology so they had a bit of a head start.

and that wasn't fixed until 2007 with the launch of Conroe.
        You mean Presler, in 2005. All pentium Ds have 64bit/NX.

Why do you say the same thing I did and then ask me to repeat myself?
        Because when you wrote "You can thank Intel for that. Every 64bit AMD processor does. Intel fuses off capability specifically because they know full well that when you need that capability you'll have no choice but to buy another CPU." in post #4 of this thread it looked like you were comparing 64bit intel with 64bit AMD.

EDIT: And that was only part of the problem, EM64T was not fully compatible with AMD64 until Conroe. It was not worth using a 64bit OS on any Intel product Until then.
        I quite frankly never even saw a half-decent 64-bit OS before Windows 7, so I may very likely have missed that alltogether.
        64bit OSs of the time were total minboggling shit anyway and there were like 0 drivers that worked in 64bit Windows.
        Linux was so ludicrously complex to set up and use at the time that I'm not even counting it.

I doubt very highly you're old enough to remember Prescott. A highly expensive, buggy, incompatible, slow as hell, space heater.
        Nowaday's kids, they read wikipedia and think they know shit.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          As I said, Intel added 64bit and NX to LATE prescotts, as it was an architecture launched in 2004, so it could not start with 64bits and NX as that was AMD's technology so they had a bit of a head start.

You mean Presler, in 2005. All pentium Ds have 64bit/NX.

Because when you wrote "You can thank Intel for that. Every 64bit AMD processor does. Intel fuses off capability specifically because they know full well that when you need that capability you'll have no choice but to buy another CPU." in post #4 of this thread it looked like you were comparing 64bit intel with 64bit AMD.

I quite frankly never even saw a half-decent 64-bit OS before Windows 7, so I may very likely have missed that alltogether.
          64bit OSs of the time were total minboggling shit anyway and there were like 0 drivers that worked in 64bit Windows.
          Linux was so ludicrously complex to set up and use at the time that I'm not even counting it.

Nowaday's kids, they read wikipedia and think they know shit.
          I see a whole bunch of plainly wrong information in this post. And All Preslers, just like the few 64bit Prescotts, were buggy, incompatible, slow as hell, space heaters.

Your fucking kidding me right? You do realize that the way MS implements it's 64bit OS is fucking stupid right? Well, it is. WoW64 is stupidly retarded. Linux always had a better implementation from day 1. So you must be talking about user experience then right? In 1998 was the first time I installed a commercial Redhat linux. It was plainly better than windows across the board. From the installer to the GUI to the terminal. It was better in almost every single way. And Redhat still is today.

Comment

I see a whole bunch of plainly wrong information in this post.
            Yeah, right. Preslers weren't 64bits and didn't have NX and were not on sale by 2005.

First 64bit with NX was Conroe in 2007 and I'm stupid because I don't think like you.

And All Preslers, just like the few 64bit Prescotts, were buggy, incompatible, slow as hell, space heaters.
            I still don't get the "buggy and incompatible" part.

Your fucking kidding me right?
            way to avoid having to admit your mistakes.
            I'll repeat it here too:
            Until windows 7 (that is 2008) there was exactly 0 decent operating system that used 64bit in any meaningful way, linux included.
            Last edited by starshipeleven; 25 July 2016, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Yeah, right. Preslers weren't 64bits and didn't have NX and were not on sale by 2005.

First 64bit with NX was Conroe in 2007 and I'm stupid because I don't think like you.

I still don't get the "buggy and incompatible" part.

way to avoid having to admit your mistakes.
              I'll repeat it here too:
              Until windows 7 (that is 2008) there was exactly 0 decent operating system that used 64bit in any meaningful way, linux included.
              So in addition to quoting out of context, now you've resorted to adding your own words and pretending they are mine? Really? WTH?

Comment

So in addition to quoting out of context, now you've resorted to adding your own words and pretending they are mine? Really? WTH?
                I never attributed to you anything, It's just sarcasm.

Comment

Maybe it was just me, because I always liked to tinker with computers and would always install and reinstall Windows and DOS myself since about 1995, but installing a Linux distro in 2005-2006 was just as easy as installing Windows to me. It was also super easy to figure out how to use it, since it had icons, windows and menus written in a language I could understand, but again, it could just be me due to being used to tinker with computers for years.

Comment

So, I'm guessing you weren't administering/using 64 bit Linux servers and workstations before 2008?

Comment

I never attributed to you anything, It's just sarcasm.
                      You seriously need to self educate. For real.

64bit Windows runs in Long 64bit mode period and is incapable of context switching to compatibility mode. That's the purpose for WoW64. It's stupidly retarded and it always was. Multilib was always the better choice. Amd64 was designed specifically with compatibility mode so that retarded shit like WoW wouldn't have to exist. And in MS's ultimate stupid retardedness they did it anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X