Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.7 Notebook Power Testing: Possible Regression When Idling

Phoronix: Linux 4.7 Notebook Power Testing: Possible Regression When Idling

With the Linux 4.7 kernel expected to be released this weekend, I did some Linux kernel comparison power measurements from a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon notebook. Here are those results...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On my Dell Inspiron 7559, power management is still not fixed in 4.7. This has a skylake i7 6700HQ. Looking under powertop, the CPU package never gets past C2. It runs hot under Linux and battery life is a total bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
      On my Dell Inspiron 7559, power management is still not fixed in 4.7. This has a skylake i7 6700HQ. Looking under powertop, the CPU package never gets past C2. It runs hot under Linux and battery life is a total bummer.
      I have same problem with Inspiron 7559, there is Bug reported, please open
      Running Ubuntu 16.04 on a Dell Inspiron 7559 laptop there appears to be an issue with the fan control. When I first boot up the machine the fans are off. However, after the laptop warms up under normal usage, the fans kick on and then never shut off again. Even when the CPU cools down to below 35c, the fans will continue to run. If I suspend the the laptop, and then immediately wake it up again then fans are once again off, until it warms up again. So essentially, once the fans start they ...

and click "This bug affects me" in the top-left corner and spread it, so more people report this and it could be resolved soon. I believe this is problem of power management of all Skylake mobile CPUs (don't know about U models) that they never past C2 on linux kernel, however on Windows they are just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
        I'm definitely seeing higher packages C-States here (Xeon E3-1505M):

Code:
        C2 (pc2)   11.1%
        C3 (pc3)    0.2%
        C6 (pc6)    1.6%
        C7 (pc7)    0.0%
        C8 (pc8)   45.0%
        C9 (pc9)    0.0%

Comment

Originally posted by uniquepito View Post

Running Ubuntu 16.04 on a Dell Inspiron 7559 laptop there appears to be an issue with the fan control. When I first boot up the machine the fans are off. However, after the laptop warms up under normal usage, the fans kick on and then never shut off again. Even when the CPU cools down to below 35c, the fans will continue to run. If I suspend the the laptop, and then immediately wake it up again then fans are once again off, until it warms up again. So essentially, once the fans start they ...

and click "This bug affects me" in the top-left corner and spread it, so more people report this and it could be resolved soon. I believe this is problem of power management of all Skylake mobile CPUs (don't know about U models) that they never past C2 on linux kernel, however on Windows they are just fine.
          Wow dude, you sure get around I'm the guy that opened that bug. Sometimes I think you and me are the only two 7559 Linux users in existance LOL.

Comment

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1602888
            Welcome to Phoronix Forums!

Comment

For the nth time: for the love of dog, please report bugs to upstream project if you want someone to look at your bug at all.
              The devs that work on these things don't look at Ubuntu's shitty bugtracker, nor Ubuntu devs are kind enough to move upstream bug reports.

This applies to most distros too, anyway.

Comment

unapproved....

anyway, plz report the bugs to upstream project too, it's much more likely to get attention from the devs than sitting in Ubuntu bugtracker.

Comment

ARE YOU ON DRUGS vBULLETTIN? STOP UNAPPROVING MY POSTS!!!

EDIT: cool, now what I wanted to say is: plz report bugs to upstream project too as it's more likely to be seen by actual devs and not languish forever in shitty Ubuntu bugtracker.

Comment

my experience with a intel i7 6500u, the kernel 4.4 is the best in power usage and pstate (since linux 4.5 is dead), the ubuntu 4.4 kernel with some backports from newer works well too, linux 4.7 have bugs and pstate don't work well in powersave( the cpu is hot and don't use the turbo like it should)

Comment

Working...
                    X