Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dropbox Opens Up "Lepton" Image Compression Algorithm

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dropbox Opens Up "Lepton" Image Compression Algorithm

    Phoronix: Dropbox Opens Up "Lepton" Image Compression Algorithm

    The latest open-source project by Dropbox Inc is Lepton, a high performance image compression algorithm...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ton-Image-Algo

  • #2
    Interesting stuff indeed. Has DropBox announced any percentage figure over their entire compressed library of pictures? That 22% seems like the number for their "small" test.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      compresses JPEG files at MB/s, and decides them at 15MB/s
      I spy with my little eye... 2 typos

      Comment


      • #4
        The 22% number holds for the entire library of pictures as well as the small test. Since most images are taken with similar chips on similar smartphones, the compression ratio is surprisingly uniform across all pictures.

        Comment


        • #5
          I wonder if it's better than the one from fabrice bellard:

          http://www.bellard.org/bpg/

          edit: my bad didnt saw they actually meant a lossless compression format.
          g7RbdHRt
          Junior Member
          Last edited by g7RbdHRt; 15 July 2016, 08:59 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            If Microsoft gets their way then DropBox is as good as dead. M$ has again used their monopoly to push their own cloud storage "OneDrive" onto the desktops just as they did in the past with their browser. And only with registry tweaks can one remove OneDrive from Windows 10. It is the exact same strategy, which they already used during the browser wars, to get users to use their implementation of a new technology, to make it hard for users to get rid of theirs and so to take over the market. Microsoft are a parasite to any serious business who uses Windows to drive innovation forward. Good news for Linux and Open Source, I guess.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sdack View Post
              If Microsoft gets their way then DropBox is as good as dead. M$ has again used their monopoly to push their own cloud storage "OneDrive" onto the desktops just as they did in the past with their browser. And only with registry tweaks can one remove OneDrive from Windows 10. It is the exact same strategy, which they already used during the browser wars, to get users to use their implementation of a new technology, to make it hard for users to get rid of theirs and so to take over the market. Microsoft are a parasite to any serious business who uses Windows to drive innovation forward. Good news for Linux and Open Source, I guess.
              Uh... what does MS have anything to do with this? Also, though I'm not one to advocate for any MS products, I personally don't have a problem with OneDrive. I've had a better experience having that sync my files than I've had with Dropbox clients.

              Also, are you not aware that both of those services are just 2 in a sea of cloud storage? There is so much out there; too much.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by g7RbdHRt View Post
                I wonder if it's better than the one from fabrice bellard:
                http://www.bellard.org/bpg/
                Their use-case is different, so comparisons don't make much sense - Lepton is a lossless jpeg recompressor, not a general image compression format.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Uh... what does MS have anything to do with this? ...
                  Honestly, when this is your question to my comment then you could not have been reading my comment. Why did you reply? If it is because you don't know anything about the browser wars then know that Microsoft tried to get rid of competition by shipping their own browser with their OS and made it hard to replace it. Microsoft almost got split into multiple, separate businesses over this (similar to what had happened to Boing in the 1930's), but then just got away with a black eye. And here we are now and they are doing it all over again - copying a successful and new innovation, integrating it into their OS so that it cannot be replaced easily and thus bullying everyone else out of the market. But if you haven't been around during the browser wars then this must be new to you.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    A really good friend of mine created this software. He was the lead developer on Vegastrike. He's been a member of the open source community for over a decade and he's a really great guy. It's nice to see him getting positive press

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X