X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystro256
    replied
    Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post

I think the point is that you cannot verify that it *actually* does end-to-end encryption unless you can see the source code and build your own copy (or trust linux distro builders to) from that verified source code. Otherwise you could just make a button that colors in a lock icon and not actually encrypt anything.
    Agreed, but my point is end to end encryption needs to exist, regardless of whether or not it's advertised or open. Open sourcing something alone does nothing for privacy. Though there is ways to confirm encryption if code is closed, but I can't think of a way to 100% confirm end to end without at least seeing the open client code.

Leave a comment:

• Passso
    replied
    Well I feel like the exception here, I like the Skype simple client with no ads and it works very well.
    It is much better than the Windows one imo.

Furthermore we need those Windows apps a lot, so that people wanting to switch to Linux can do it easily. So I hope M$ will continue to maintain it.

That said, Alternatives people quoted here are really good.

Leave a comment:

• PsynoKhi0
    replied
    Originally posted by mendieta View Post
    I really try to stay away from Skype. What's the alternative though, when you have friends and family in different countries?
    There is the LGPL Jitsi and its SaaS counterpart meet.jit.si
    I use the latter quite a bunch. Runs in any worthwhile browser. Create a room, send link, and off you go.
    Judging from replies there are indeed quite a few viable alternatives out there, technically speaking. Skype has the mindshare and install base though. That's one reason why I prefer one-off solution - no need to create an account, so I don't get complaints on that part.
    Last edited by PsynoKhi0; 10 July 2016, 07:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post

I think the point is that you cannot verify that it *actually* does end-to-end encryption unless you can see the source code and build your own copy (or trust linux distro builders to) from that verified source code. Otherwise you could just make a button that colors in a lock icon and not actually encrypt anything.
    Yep. End-to-end encryption doesn't mean anything, if you don't trust the software that controls both ends.

Leave a comment:

• motang
    replied
    Maybe they making a new version of Skype into a snap package.

Leave a comment:

• Dane
    replied
    Microsoft reminds me of IBM back in the 80's They refused to see the serious threat on the horizon and stuck their little heads in the sand. Giving away Windoz 10 for free didn't work out and now this. Ironic to us old geezers.

Leave a comment:

• Uqbar
    replied
    Will it run with low level privileges?

Leave a comment:

• M@yeulC
    replied
    Originally posted by mendieta View Post
    I really try to stay away from Skype. What's the alternative though, when you have friends and family in different countries?

Whatsapp is popular in some countries, but it's a b*tch because you have no 'user account', it completely relies on your phone-book addresses, which is really dumb and cumbersome.

Hangouts, oh hangouts. Video hangouts are great, text is good, but how the FSCK do they _still_ not let you share videos or files, P2P? And why is it that you can't send a quick sound clip or video clip to other people? Their goal is to force you to use the whole Google ecosystem. But, they just alienate you, and move you away from the whole ecosystem.
    I quite like Tox. It has a plethora of clients.
    On the android side, I prefer Signal, but I don't think it features video calls (yet).

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Axing the client and finally bringing the web version up to par is pretty exciting news. My parents rely on Skype quite heavily, and the Linux client has been falling apart lately.

And yes, for things under my control, I've been using WebRTC mainly. Firefox Hello was nice while it lasted, but alas, now they made it radically shift direction, and it's no longer a video chat capability, but rather a screensharing application. It no longer has contacts, either. That makes it no longer suitable for my needs.

That's a shame, really; Firefox Hello was *the* killer feature for which I was using Firefox. Now it's gone, and I now see that I no longer have a reason to use Firefox altogether. The plugin policy to require signing and soon a move to Servo and a new plugin system makes the KWallet integration real flaky; and thus since today I'm switching to QupZilla, which via QtWebEngine is actually quite decent right now. I was using Chromium as a fallback for Flash websites anyway, so it's an easy switch.

I used appear.in also, but it has problems with echo cancellation, there is often a delay that gets introduced, and it's tricky to get it working fullscreen. I also tried out spreed.me due to the whole Nextcloud integration, and it's quite similar; though having it running on my own server is probably an interesting idea. Others have also recommended trying meet.jit.si.

I'd love it if Tox was up to par. Last I tried, it worked quite decently; but the devs are saying that there are still issues with multiconferencing, there's a regression that causes crashes on video chats altogether at the moment, and in general there was supposed to be some code rewrite coming up, so it's not really stable, apparently. The echo cancellation is apparently hit-and-miss, too.

So yea, things are OK at the moment, but they could be quite a bit better still.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
    Except Messaging is what they focus on not Video Calls. "We specialize in sending messages, large media and files" "And messaging is obviously trending at the moment, so our focus remains in that area for now."
    Yeah I know.
    As said by others, a drop-in replacement for skype with less retarded restrictions does not exist, so I told the more useful one of the ones left.

Hmm, thinking about it again... has anyone tried the Teamviewer's teleconferencing/video calls recently?
    I use Teamviewer for remote control and they do kick ass there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X