No announcement yet.

Skype Claims "Exciting" Linux News Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am using desktop client and it's working perfectly (simple gui, simple use). They're gonna crap it, as Windows version and you are welcoming it. Great.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      ...properly opensourced...
      fixed.
      To have privacy you'd at least require the right to change the software to disable any "calling home"-functionality and you should at least be able to use this modified people with those you want to communicate with, so I guess in that case we should not say "properly opensourced", as this is about more rights than the right to view the source code, and instead say "properly freed".

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        fixed.
        Open sourcing it still doesn't give you privacy, you still need the end to end encryption to stop their servers or MITM from spying on everything that goes through it.

Comment

95% "exciting" ads are coming.

Comment

As if anyone cared, my 5 cents is that they'll demo a unified implementation, similar to how the Office suite has functioned on Windows / Droid / iOS. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for XAML on Linux.

Comment

Skype for linux now available.
              download now for all linux Versions
              skype.snap [739MiB]

Features in this Version:
              • Qt5 Build
              • on par with web version using the latest Qt5 WebEngine technology
              • support for all Linux edition (* snappy support required)
              • better interaction with pulseaudio and systemd
              • more improvements in audio and video rechnologie stuff blabla
              • some more features with "microsoft *-marketingnames" blabla
              • a securitything blabla
              • emoji support improvements
              i think its something like this

Comment

I really try to stay away from Skype. What's the alternative though, when you have friends and family in different countries?

Whatsapp is popular in some countries, but it's a b*tch because you have no 'user account', it completely relies on your phone-book addresses, which is really dumb and cumbersome.

Hangouts, oh hangouts. Video hangouts are great, text is good, but how the FSCK do they _still_ not let you share videos or files, P2P? And why is it that you can't send a quick sound clip or video clip to other people? Their goal is to force you to use the whole Google ecosystem. But, they just alienate you, and move you away from the whole ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                  I really try to stay away from Skype. What's the alternative though, when you have friends and family in different countries?

Whatsapp is popular in some countries, but it's a b*tch because you have no 'user account', it completely relies on your phone-book addresses, which is really dumb and cumbersome.

Hangouts, oh hangouts. Video hangouts are great, text is good, but how the FSCK do they _still_ not let you share videos or files, P2P? And why is it that you can't send a quick sound clip or video clip to other people? Their goal is to force you to use the whole Google ecosystem. But, they just alienate you, and move you away from the whole ecosystem.
                  You still got google hangout

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

Open sourcing it still doesn't give you privacy, you still need the end to end encryption to stop their servers or MITM from spying on everything that goes through it.
                    I think the point is that you cannot verify that it *actually* does end-to-end encryption unless you can see the source code and build your own copy (or trust linux distro builders to) from that verified source code. Otherwise you could just make a button that colors in a lock icon and not actually encrypt anything.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
                      i think its something like this
                      so you're hating on emoji and microsoft, okay, that's whatever (I don't buy Microsoft products, but I like C# etc)
                      You're hating on Pulseaudio and Systemd? Don't like Poetterring?
                      Hating on snappy stuff, warranted Ubuntu missteps...
                      Hating on Qt5? The wonderful modular version? WHYYYY? Qt is a wonderful toolkit, way easier to make apps with than GTK (the only-good-for-making-gnome toolkit).

Or were you just hoping to upset everyone and I happen to just get caught by only one of your troll-traps?

Comment

Working...
                      X