Skype Claims "Exciting" Linux News Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Michael hasn't covered this, but phone calls in Skype Web client now work in Google Chrome and Chome OS. This happened yesterday. Video calls don't yet work, but I guess they will given the fact that Edge allows this.

So the big news is that Microsoft deprecates the Linux client and invites everyone to switch to their cloud based web Skype client.

Good bye complete conversation history (Skype for web allows to dig through the last 30 days only). Hello, complete surveillance. Not only they can now access your conversation history, but your sent/received files as well.
    Michael, you can just post this comment and beat Microsoft to their own news, as this pretty much sums it up.

Comment

My guess is they'll bring video calling support to Linux browsers like they recently did with audio calls.

There are two unofficial Linux apps that wrap the Skype web client into standalone applications and both now support audio calls:

https://github.com/haskellcamargo/sk...fficial-client

Web Skype + Tray Icon + Notifications. Contribute to stanfieldr/ghetto-skype development by creating an account on GitHub.

Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 08 July 2016, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Exciting news could be that they would be launching Skype plugin for browsers on Linux for proper audio/video support or other possibility could be bundling it with Electron like Visual Studio Code.

Comment

Brace for ads in the Linux client.

Comment

Way too little, way too late. I've converted quite a few teams to Google Hangouts, which has "just worked" for years. Microsoft are still pushing their "Skype for Business" BS on corporate customers. Luckily I've headed this off at my current workplace. The bad news is that we went with Atlaissian's "HipChat". At least it works I guess. I found recently ( to my great surprise ) that Citrix's "GotoMeeting" now supports screen sharing from Linux. I can't imagine what would bring me back to Skype now, though I guess if some workplace forces me to use it, I don't have to run it in a VM ( Android or Windows from https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...dge/tools/vms/ ) to get features added in the past 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              Michael hasn't covered this, but phone calls in Skype Web client now work in Google Chrome and Chome OS. This happened yesterday. Video calls don't yet work, but I guess they will given the fact that Edge allows this.

So the big news is that Microsoft deprecates the Linux client and invites everyone to switch to their cloud based web Skype client.

Good bye complete conversation history (Skype for web allows to dig through the last 30 days only). Hello, complete surveillance. Not only they can now access your conversation history, but your sent/received files as well.
              That's cool. I'm using Pidgin plugin Skype-Web, so if they would make the web-version fully functional, it would mean I can actually keep all my communication accounts (IRC, VKontakte, Facebook, Google+, Skype) in the single client.

Comment

Originally posted by tinko View Post
                To have privacy you'd at least require the right to change the software to disable any "calling home"-functionality and you should at least be able to use this modified people with those you want to communicate with, so I guess in that case we should not say "properly opensourced", as this is about more rights than the right to view the source code, and instead say "properly freed".
                "Properly opensourced" means it is open AND run by a community/foundation/whatever that accepts contributions.

Of course a code drop with MIT license is totally worthless for this kind of program.

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                Open sourcing it still doesn't give you privacy, you still need the end to end encryption to stop their servers or MITM from spying on everything that goes through it.
                see above, "properly opensourcing" means turning it into an openosurce project fueled by community.
                The features you are talking about are pretty high in the priority list of any such community.

Adding a sticker saying "end-to-end encryption" on top of a proprietary software means exactly jackshit as the client program can snoop your stuff even if the connection is end-to-end encrypted.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                  I really try to stay away from Skype. What's the alternative though, when you have friends and family in different countries?
                  Telegram. Try out telegram. It's the upstream program cloned by Watsapp (as it is mostly opensourced).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Telegram. Try out telegram. It's the upstream program cloned by Watsapp (as it is mostly opensourced).
                    Except Messaging is what they focus on not Video Calls. "We specialize in sending messages, large media and files" "And messaging is obviously trending at the moment, so our focus remains in that area for now."

Comment

I've started using Firefox hello quite a bit, especially since it works with people who don't have skype or google accounts, and you dont' have to get them to install some proprietary plugin. You don't even need Firefox! I use the skype client for some people but it's unreliable. After resume from suspend it sometimes speeds up the audio input for some strange reason; I have to exit the client and open it again. I guess they'll never make the web client operable without a proprietary plugin, which is why I'll stick to Firefox Hello or like webrtc services.

Comment

Working...
                      X