Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bcachefs Still Being Developed As A Next-Gen Linux File-System

Phoronix: Bcachefs Still Being Developed As A Next-Gen Linux File-System

Announced last year was Bcachefs as a new Linux file-system derived from Bcache that aims for speed while having ZFS/Btrfs-like features. Since doing some early Bcachefs benchmarks last August, we hadn't heard much (anything?) from the project since...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Has this guy some decent chances of doing a next-gen filesystem that can compete with btrfs?
    I'm a bit skeptical but I sure hope he does as btrfs is still a long way from getting anywhere near RAID5/6 support.

Anyone knows more?

Comment

Will it be fast enough to compete with ext4 as well?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Has this guy some decent chances of doing a next-gen filesystem that can compete with btrfs?
        I'm a bit skeptical but I sure hope he does as btrfs is still a long way from getting anywhere near RAID5/6 support.

Anyone knows more?
        Isn't raid 5/6 supported already in btrfs?

Comment

This is all very vague for a supposedly 'stable' FS...
          Where are the bechmarks/feature comparisons?...
          And i don't mean by you Micahel.
          The author should support his claims... somehow... i think... maybe... kinda...

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

Btrfs got raid5/6 but it is pretty far from in a good shape... it is mostly useless to be honest!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              No, it's still highly experimental. You can make RAID5/6 arrays, but you'll likely hit major bugs that will eat your data. It may or may not checksum parity (google "adventures in btrfs raid5 disk recovery" to find a fresh discussion on the mailing list), and checksumming may or may not fail at random.

RAID1 is fine tho, most of the fun is in RAID5/6.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                This is all very vague for a supposedly 'stable' FS...
                Where are the bechmarks/feature comparisons?...
                And i don't mean by you Micahel.
                The author should support his claims... somehow... i think... maybe... kinda...
                bcachefs is an evolution of bcache, which is a stable cache-oriented (=high-speed random writes) SSD-only filesystem already in mainline since kernel 3.11. It was also sponsored by Google.
                This is the site where the dev talks about bcache https://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/

This has more background on bcache features and development https://www.linux.com/blog/all-about...-kernel-bcache

Comment

Hi,

Michael can you do a fresh benchmark of the different filesystems with bcachefs? The last one is old now, and since there's been a lot of modifications.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    bcachefs is an evolution of bcache, which is a stable cache-oriented (=high-speed random writes) SSD-only filesystem already in mainline since kernel 3.11.
                    Wait, bcache is already a filesystem? Why do we need bcachefs then? bcache is SSD only? I can't use it with other media like rotating disks? Sounds like you need to inform yourself a little more.

Comment

Working...
                    X