Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Gained Some Weight The Past Two Weeks: Around 200,000 Lines

Phoronix: Linux Gained Some Weight This Past Week: Around 200,000 Lines

Over the past two weeks of the merge window for the Linux 4.7 kernel, around 200,000 lines of code was added...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
    Naturally I wonder, did anybody actually test those 200k lines of code? Or is it cowboy programming all the way as is the usual style?
    Great troll post.

Comment

ASP.net?

Comment

asp.net and objectve c++ code inside the kernel? That was unexpected

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
          asp.net and objectve c++ code inside the kernel? That was unexpected
          Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
          ASP.net?
          ASP.net is an obvious error of the tool, objective C probably too.

See from github here https://github.com/torvalds/linux click on the black bar under the commits/branch/release/contributors, and it will show the percentages of code in the project. You can also click on the code type and it will pull up a list of all the files coded with that language.

I still think github is mistaken about objective C as what it calls "objective C" are plain C files with structs inside.

Comment

1st Phoronix article with ASCII art.

Comment

Naturally I wonder, did anybody actually test those 200k lines of code?
              Naturally I wonder, did you manually go over all of the kernel's 14-odd million lines? Better to be sure! Talk to you when you get back. Good luck!

Comment

Naturally I wonder, did anybody actually test those 200k lines of code?
                I doubt any one person/team tested all 200K, but each developer/team tests their own contributions.

Or is it cowboy programming all the way as is the usual style?
                What is "cowboy programming" ? Something like pair programming where one of the programmers is a horse ?

I know people who find they write better code when they have a cat in the room glaring at them... doesn't seem to work with dogs though.
                Last edited by bridgman; 29 May 2016, 03:22 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by eydee
                  1st Phoronix article with ASCII art.
                  I think it's some kind of waterfall?...

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  I know people who find they write better code when they have a cat in the room glaring at them... doesn't seem to work with dogs though.
                  Ha, that's interesting. I don't think I could work with any creature staring at me though.
                  Last edited by devius; 29 May 2016, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    What is "cowboy programming" ?
                    this is the "official" meaning. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_coding

Comment

Working...
                    X