X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Naib View Post
    the "alternatives" are init system NOT system dictators.
    so you too didn't read article and do not understand that we are discussing user sessions

Leave a comment:

• Naib
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    do your "alternatives" run user sessions (which are the point of subject article)?
    the "alternatives" are init system NOT system dictators.

Leave a comment:

• c117152
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    it clearly says you are marginal
    Thanks. Remembering how those flame wars were conducted, I take pride in not taking clear sides.

Though to be fair, packaging was always a politically loaded subject. By then, a lot of people already moved to Arch and other distributions to escape the corporate interests of server farms and Red Hat vs Ubuntu turf wars. I simply stuck around longer since I was part of the machine.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Just for the record, the alternatives aren't that slow. My Raspberry Pi 1 boots almost as fast as my Haswell system although it uses runit as init.
    do your "alternatives" run user sessions (which are the point of subject article)?

Leave a comment:

• davidbepo
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post

Just for the record, the alternatives aren't that slow. My Raspberry Pi 1 boots almost as fast as my Haswell system although it uses runit as init.
    i was referring to upstart or sysvinit

i havent tried nor do i know about the architecture of openrc or runit

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    screen and ssh-agent just have to be started as systemd services. and btw, gnome-session acts as ssh-agent and it always exits on logout
    Originally posted by c117152 View Post
    I've voiced this very thoughts and concerns on IRC and pushed for following this very policy, but never got the votes
    it clearly says you are marginal

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied
    With "loginctl enable-linger" everything works as expected. See https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-run.html#Examples
    To me, this new default behaviour is the right choice, because I am a desktop user and annoyed about processes which don't shut down even within 90 seconds!

Leave a comment:

• c117152
    replied
    What are they complaining about? It's a completely reasonable default to kill off processes on logoff.

If package maintainers would have done the right thing to begin with and packaged the services' unit files as separate $PACKAGE-systemd-unit packages, they could have updated everything without forcing everyone to download all the binaries again.

But no... They had to force systemd down everyone's throats by putting everything together like a big blob.

And you know what's the worst part? I'm was a systemd advocate and package maintainer and despite this I've voiced this very thoughts and concerns on IRC and pushed for following this very policy, but never got the votes since people got partisan about this and camped on PRO and CON systemd sides so the correct technical steps were never taken.

Well, screw them. I've switched to Guix and NixOS. With Shepherd in the first, and systemd in the other, stuff is getting done the right way in both. Let the Debians and Fedoras rot in their politics. The people who actually care about doing things the right way are off to greener pastures.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
    like some systemd haters said its starting to mess things, which is unfortunate cause it speedups boot process and has some advantages

the setting is logical but it should have a whitelist

Leave a comment:

• davidbepo
    replied
    like some systemd haters said its starting to mess things, which is unfortunate cause it speedups boot process and has some advantages

the setting is logical but it should have a whitelist

Leave a comment:

Working...
X