Systemd 230 Opens Up A New Graphics Vulnerability & FBDEV Still Should Die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
    In some ways Linux was better when the idea was to support as many devices as possible.... Before we kill anymore functionality, can we make sure that there are viable pathways that actually work for everyone? Maybe that's too much to ask (?).
    Linux (as in the kernel) still supports as many devices as possible as long as there is a maintainer. The situation is exactly the same for fbdev as well. If you care about this, you either have to ensure that fbdev continues being maintained or the alternative is viable. Can't ask other people to ensure this for you however

Comment

This is exactly why I don't want systemd. They introduce a bug and expect others to fix it. Because they want systemd to do or don't do something the whole world has to change. Why not let systemd die and keep fbdev?
      Last edited by SilverMachine; 24 May 2016, 02:56 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMachine View Post
        This is exactly why I don't want systemd. They introduce a bug and expect others to fix it.
        Somehow, that's how software development works everywhere. Systemd isnt't unique in it. Root cause is the fact devs can't foresee everything, neither all use cases, nor all shortcomings, not to mention bugs. So if someone stumbles on bug or shortcoming, it is up to them to deal with it by default. That's how opensource works. OTOH nobody could force you to use systemd, Linux or whatever. You're perfectly free to use whatever. With some little caveat: it could turn out you have to maintain your favorite solution yourself if nobody else steps in. That's how it works.

Because they want systemd to do or don't do something the whole world has to change. Why not let systemd die and keep fbdev?
        Nothing wrong with it. Someone have to introduce changes, and it happens all the time. I do not get why systemd devs should be unable to do something like this. Are they second-class citizens, or what? Though in this particular case they did quite strange thing. Still, fbdev appears to be poorly maintained these days. Yet it is eventually used in embedded devices, so it would be nice if there is reasonable replacement. This is especially true for small simplest i2c/spi/... LCDs where full fledged KMS driver looks like an overkill. There were patches floating around to provide simplified layer on top of KMS but it seems they haven't made it so far.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          Just kill fbdev please.
          Just kill systemd please.

Marketing version: hey! X11 is old like dinosaurs and a security mess, you can even grab the screen if you are connected to the X server.
          Thanks to god, we developed a cutting edge architecture composed by systemd to restrict who can run X11, wayland to restrict what the apps can do and dbus to let's them talk together. We end up to a system that works only in the original author environment and with worst security bugs: thanks to systemd any logged user can grab the screen, not only the ones connected to the X server, then you can execute arbitrary commands through dbus and anyone who can connect to the xwayland socket can do what they want without authentication!
          So, what are you waiting for before to install our novel view of Unix NT?

Comment

Before we kill anymore functionality, can we make sure that there are viable pathways that actually work for everyone?
            not unless you provide patches

Comment

Why not let systemd die and keep fbdev?
              because all smart people are developing systemd and all idiots can only post shit on forums and can't fix their fbdev

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                not unless you provide patches
                So I guess what everybody is effectively saying is that fbdev has no support. Then I guess it has to die. But I have a sneaky suspicion that it doesn't have "linux correct" support and therefore it must die (the special kind of support that is deemed "good" by the few that make those types of decisions). Sort of like Reiser 4.

Comment

But I have a sneaky suspicion that it doesn't have "linux correct" support
                  it has no maintainer and it is broken

Comment

This is exactly why I don't want systemd. They introduce a bug and expect others to fix it. Because they want systemd to do or don't do something the whole world has to change. Why not let systemd die and keep fbdev?

1. It's not a bug.
                    2. It's not systemd's fault.
                    3. The article is clickbait.
                    Last edited by unixfan2001; 25 May 2016, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trek View Post

Just kill systemd please.

Marketing version: hey! X11 is old like dinosaurs and a security mess, you can even grab the screen if you are connected to the X server.
                      Thanks to god, we developed a cutting edge architecture composed by systemd to restrict who can run X11, wayland to restrict what the apps can do and dbus to let's them talk together. We end up to a system that works only in the original author environment and with worst security bugs: thanks to systemd any logged user can grab the screen, not only the ones connected to the X server, then you can execute arbitrary commands through dbus and anyone who can connect to the xwayland socket can do what they want without authentication!
                      So, what are you waiting for before to install our novel view of Unix NT?
                      Completely untrue, but keep the bullshit coming!
                      Not sure what your beef with NT is either. You do realise the Windows NT kernel is pretty advanced as far as security is concerned, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X