No announcement yet.

Systemd 230 Opens Up A New Graphics Vulnerability & FBDEV Still Should Die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as i understand it: without this change you can only run wayland on fb as root, so if you value security you wouldn't run wayland on fb anyway

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      as i understand it: without this change you can only run wayland on fb as root, so if you value security you wouldn't run wayland on fb anyway

Not really. Weston uses setuid wrapper to open devices as root, then drops privileges and runs as the user that started it. Similar to how Xorg does things since recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

systemd-consoled

EDIT: The lead developer dropped it: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/747
        I wonder how big a part the kdbus maintenance played in systemd-consoled being orphaned

Comment

Also, can we just burn down fbdev please ;-)
          -Daniel
          Please. implement a KMS driver for Geode GX, GX2 and LX before doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
            Does your console switch to a higher resolution when gma500 loads? If yes, that's the fbdev compatibility at play.
            You're wrong. That's KMS.

Comment

Instead of killing it, has anyone considered a partial rewrite to fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
                You're wrong. That's KMS.
                I am not. The console runs on fbdev. It's not and never was KMS that provided the high res console, it was always the fbdev compatibility inside KMS drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by zboszor View Post

Please. implement a KMS driver for Geode GX, GX2 and LX before doing that.
                  Those are AMD SoCs, so they maybe (this is a giant maybe, i dont know what these chips actually look like architecture wise) could hook into the old R300 infrastructure
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                    Instead of killing it, has anyone considered a partial rewrite to fix it?
                    I understood the point is that the entire API is fundamentally illdesigned. Fixing it would be more effort than just going with KMS

Comment

In some ways Linux was better when the idea was to support as many devices as possible.... Before we kill anymore functionality, can we make sure that there are viable pathways that actually work for everyone? Maybe that's too much to ask (?).

Comment

Working...
                      X