Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roundcube Webmail 1.2 Adds PGP Encryption

Phoronix: Roundcube Webmail 1.2 Adds PGP Encryption

For those using the open-source Roundcube software for your webmail needs, Roundcube 1.2 is now available as the latest stable version...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...e-1.2-Released

Finally, that was one of the important missing features. I'm looking at you Trojita, you're the last piece of the puzzle with missing encryption support.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Anyone has more information on the PGP implementation?
      Webmail based PGP seems like a not too bright idea, since then private keys have to be stored on the server. Which means they're not private any more. (No, I don't trust the webmaster).
      IF however, the keys have a mandatory passphrase, and are only open for the duration of a session,
      AND all encryption./decryption is done on the client side ;
      THEN maybe it might not be a total nightmare, just a nightmare...

Not convinced.

S.

Edit : right, so total nightmare :
      The plugin uses gpg binary on the server and stores all keys (including private keys of the users) on the server Encryption/decryption is done server-side. So, this plugin is for users that trust the server.
      Last edited by Serafean; 05-23-2016, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
        Anyone has more information on the PGP implementation?
        Webmail based PGP seems like a not too bright idea, since then private keys have to be stored on the server. Which means they're not private any more. (No, I don't trust the webmaster).
        IF however, the keys have a mandatory passphrase, and are only open for the duration of a session,
        AND all encryption./decryption is done on the client side ;
        THEN maybe it might not be a total nightmare, just a nightmare...

Not convinced.

S.

Edit : right, so total nightmare :
        What? Did you read the actual release notes page?
        As already announced with the 1.2-beta release, PGP encryption comes in two flavours: client-side using the Mailvelope browser extension and server-side with the Enigma plugin using GnuPG on the server.
        So you sure can keep your keys clientside. I find it pretty neat to have both options.

Comment

Originally posted by aksdb View Post

What? Did you read the actual release notes page?

So you sure can keep your keys clientside. I find it pretty neat to have both options.
          Right, got to get more coffee...

Comment

And integration with mailvelope works flawlessly. Congrats for Alek and rest of the Team! (By the way: it doesn't require engima plugin)

Comment

Working...
            X