Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GCC 4.9 vs. GCC 5.3 vs. GCC 6.1 On A Debian Xeon E5 Linux System

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GCC 4.9 vs. GCC 5.3 vs. GCC 6.1 On A Debian Xeon E5 Linux System

    Phoronix: GCC 4.9 vs. GCC 5.3 vs. GCC 6.1 On A Debian Xeon E5 Linux System

    Given the recent stable release of GCC 6 (GCC v6.1.0), here are some fresh compiler benchmarks on an Intel Debian x86_64 system when comparing the GCC 4.9.3, GCC 5.3.0, and GCC 6.1.0 compiler releases.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=23133

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: GCC 4.9 vs. GCC 5.3 vs. GCC 6.1 On A Debian Xeon E5 Linux System

    Given the recent stable release of GCC 6 (GCC v6.1.0), here are some fresh compiler benchmarks on an Intel Debian x86_64 system when comparing the GCC 4.9.3, GCC 5.3.0, and GCC 6.1.0 compiler releases.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=23133
    Does the longer duration of "Timed ImageMagick Compilation v6.9.0" translate to better ImageMagick runtime performance? Is the current version of PTS able to measure ImageMagick runtime performance?

    Comment


    • #3
      Same question. Are there some performance tests showing if the compiler produces faster code at all? Might also be interesting to see how the code compares against LLVM/Clang.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by anolting View Post
        Same question. Are there some performance tests showing if the compiler produces faster code at all? Might also be interesting to see how the code compares against LLVM/Clang.
        LLVM Clang results coming in a day or two.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          It seems rather pointless to test on a Xeon as it doesn't reflect the overwhelming majority of users or developers configuration.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            It seems rather pointless to test on a Xeon as it doesn't reflect the overwhelming majority of users or developers configuration.
            What do you think of build servers?

            Comment


            • #7
              IMHO the compilation time is the least important figure when comparing compilers. The following should matter a whole lot more: code quality, standards compliance and code size.

              Comment

              Working...
              X