Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Summer of Code 2016 Projects Announced

Phoronix: Google Summer of Code 2016 Projects Announced

Google announced this week the participating student projects for this year's Summer of Code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Am i reading this right? If you unplug all monitors under weston it currently crashes?

Comment

- KDE hopes to see the Kdenlive video editor ported to OS X and Windows.
      why? why not approve a project where e.g. somebody would help Martin Gräßlin with improvements on the display stack? Nooooo, let's port something to windows.

on a related note, is it only me or 'big' entities in open source (e.g. Mozilla, KDE and Gnome) somehow pick what's most unimportant thing to do and then put it on top of their priority list?

Comment

Originally posted by misp View Post
        on a related note, is it only me or 'big' entities in open source (e.g. Mozilla, KDE and Gnome) somehow pick what's most unimportant thing to do and then put it on top of their priority list?
        Because these are supposed to be easy projects a student can learn and complete in a summer not core issues that the best developers in the project are working on.

Comment

why? why not approve a project where e.g. somebody would help Martin Gräßlin with improvements on the display stack?
          Do you have any knowledge about any student having proposed to do that?
          The organisations participating in GSoC can only select between student proposals they've received.

Then there is also the matter of having mentors for proposed tasks.
          Sometimes the developers of a certain program, in this case KWin, just don't have anyone available for the duration of GSoC to do that.

Nooooo, let's port something to windows.
          Are you aware that this is only one out of many accepted proposas?

While the organistations can and do provide a list of project ideas, it is up to the students what they propose to work on.
          Some of these ideas might get turned into mulitple proposals, some might not get a single one.
          Students can even propose their own ideas, they don't have to pick from the suggested ones.

Cheers,
          _

Comment

Originally posted by zamadatix View Post
            Because these are supposed to be easy projects a student can learn and complete in a summer not core issues that the best developers in the project are working on.
            i understand that. but there is for sure easy project to be done for e.g. for linux platform.

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
            Then there is also the matter of having mentors for proposed tasks.
            Sometimes the developers of a certain program, in this case KWin, just don't have anyone available for the duration of GSoC to do that.
            fair enough, but the thing i mentioned was just an example. there might be some other things that could be done whit equivalent amount of effort/complexity (referring to kdenlive)

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
            Are you aware that this is only one out of many accepted proposas?

While the organisations can and do provide a list of project ideas, it is up to the students what they propose to work on.
            Some of these ideas might get turned into multiple proposals, some might not get a single one.
            Students can even propose their own ideas, they don't have to pick from the suggested ones.
            yes, i am aware this is just one, but this one kinda hit the nerve. if they wanted to do something with kdenlive, why not add features to it (question applies to both, students and mentors)?
            my comment comes down to a simple statement - they could have used time to do much more useful stuff with equivalent amount of effort.

just my opinion. nothing more...

Comment

fair enough, but the thing i mentioned was just an example. there might be some other things that could be done whit equivalent amount of effort/complexity (referring to kdenlive)
              Sure, but maybe there weren't any other proposals for kdenlive or they weren't as well thought out, etc.

yes, i am aware this is just one, but this one kinda hit the nerve. if they wanted to do something with kdenlive, why not add features to it (question applies to both, students and mentors)?

We don't know if there were any other proposals for kdenlive or if their quality was comparable.

my comment comes down to a simple statement - they could have used time to do much more useful stuff with equivalent amount of effort.

We also don't know why the student wrote this proposal and not something different.

For kdenlive the other option might have been to not get a student at all.

Cheers,
              _

Comment

Direct3D retained mode is exciting and awesome. I hope they are able to find a student, and I am willing to throw in $250 cash on completion.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                  Direct3D retained mode is exciting and awesome. I hope they are able to find a student, and I am willing to throw in $250 cash on completion.
                  Wasn't this purposely removed from Vista onwards due to feature deprecation? Or are you looking forward to it for legacy programs?

Comment

Working...
                  X