Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.6 Set To Bring A Significant Number Of New Features

Phoronix: Linux 4.6 Set To Bring A Significant Number Of New Features

Linus Torvalds ended up tagging the Linux 4.6-rc1 kernel on Saturday night rather than opting for Sunday. While we tend to get excited about every major update to the Linux kernel, Linux 4.6 is coming in particularly heavy with new functionality and notable improvements to existing features. Linux 4.6 is arguably looking like the most exciting release in a few kernel cycles.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh how times have changed. Once upon a time....
    Atleast exiting would mean some new scheduler, network filtering system, I/O layer etc. Something with actual computer science value.
    Today, exciting is more like "Oh, Intel has added some fubar features to their already fubared driver and graphics hardware! Hooray! The joy!"

Even Linux has become boring these days. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
      Atleast exiting would mean some new scheduler, network filtering system, I/O layer etc. Something with actual computer science value.
      Today, exciting is more like "Oh, Intel has added some fubar features to their already fubared driver and graphics hardware! Hooray! The joy!"

I tell you what, if you have a Skylake XPS 13 it IS exciting! I'm counting down the days!

Comment

linux has stagnated, kernel mailing list politics now make things like CPU scheduler tweaks 'exciting' because they deadlock on there for years

Comment

runpm for radeon gpus might be falsely disabled with 4.6-rc1: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=115321

Comment

Did Snapdragon 808 get upstream support as well? I see 820, so I presume yes. However, I couldn't find anything on the subject.

Man, if it did/does, then that Nexus 5x is getting even more tempting.

Comment

Did you actually read it? It DOES have your scheduler changes, plus a new filesystem (OrangeFS), Cgroups namespaces, POWER9 support etc... This all sounds pretty exciting to me in a computer science sense. We are of course on Phoronix, which has always been interested in graphics drivers more than in any other feature, but that does not mean that the stuff you talk about is not there for us to get excited about. Linux may be getting "boring", but if that's the case, then the users of any other OS in existence must have died of boredom then ;-)

Comment

Working...
              X