No announcement yet.

Btrfs File-System Updates For Linux 4.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much has Btrfs matured the past year(s)?

How does Btrfs compare against ZFS nowadays?

Comment

Originally posted by aksdb View Post
      "not particularly exciting"? The fact that there are not many changes IS exciting. Because that begins to show stability.
      in biology 'stability' means 'death'
      for btrfs it means no online filesystem check for example

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
        I'm curious, what is the advantage of using BTRFS over EXT4 or XFS on the root filesystem?
        rollbacks

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          How does Btrfs compare against ZFS nowadays?
          btrfs has modern superior desing, zfs has obsolete design
          zfs for linux is separate product with zero userbase, which implies zero stability. btrfs for linux is used by default by some enterprise distros with support(not all features) and by facebook

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            rollbacks
            This. I'm using BTRFS as my root filesystem now on several systems running Gentoo Linux. Before doing software updates, I make a snapshot of the subvolume used for my root filesystem, which I can then boot to from grub instead of my main subvolume if something goes wrong (subvol=backup instead of subvol=root on kernel command line). I can then keep around as many of these "backup" subvolumes as I have room for to rollback to any point in time if I want. I also use different subvolumes to try out different desktop environments (subvol=kde4, subvol=plasma, subvol=gnome, etc.) without them "cross contaminating" each other. It's like having as many different OS installations as you want all contained within one file system.

Comment

btrfs has modern superior desing, zfs has obsolete design
              zfs for linux is separate product with zero userbase, which implies zero stability. btrfs for linux is used by default by some enterprise distros with support(not all features) and by facebook
              Add Netgear NASes to the btrfs list. They use btrfs.

also, zfs does have some userbase on linux, probably less than btrfs tho. And it will increase quite a bit when Ubuntu adds zfs support.

God I'll laugh when people's data will burn randomly when they used zfs on a non-ecc system. The more people use it, the more likely it becomes that someone will come crying about his data loss.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post

I'm curious, what is the advantage of using BTRFS over EXT4 or XFS on the root filesystem? Or is it just because BTRFS is default for SLES?
                When you have to patch multiple thousands of servers every quarter, being able to roll them back if something goes wrong is a huge benefit. Sometimes rebuilding and restoring from backups is not a productive use of time....

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  And it will increase quite a bit when Ubuntu adds zfs support.
                  not much, since ubuntu added btrfs support long ago

Comment

not much, since ubuntu added btrfs support long ago
                    Yeah, but y'know, all the people saying "zfs is mature, btrfs is not" are salivating at that and you cannot deny this. There are quite a bit here and in other forums. While btrfs is still undeniably very meh.

btrfs will of course win in the long run, but zfs is going to see some more use in the short term.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      all the people saying "zfs is mature, btrfs is not"
                      but zfs is not mature on linux, there are just many clueless people

Comment

Working...
                      X