Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.6 Staging Has 1600+ Patches, ~400 Patches From Outreachy

Phoronix: Linux 4.6 Staging Has 1600+ Patches, ~400 Patches From Outreachy

Greg Kroah-Hartman on Thursday submitted his pull request of the staging area changes for targeting the Linux 4.6 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

internationally to women (cis and trans), trans men, and genderqueer people. Additionally, they are open to residents and nationals of the United States of any gender who are Black/African American, Hispanic/Latin@, American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander.
    what is cis, genderqueer, and Latin@?

I'm getting too old for this shit.

Comment

Haha it might as well say "everyone except straight white males"

Comment

Could anyone explain why the number of commits on the kernel dropped in 2016?

Source: https://www.openhub.net/p/linux & https://github.com/git/git/graphs/commit-activity

Comment

Originally posted by CapsAdmin View Post
          Haha it might as well say "everyone except straight white males"
          That sums it up!!

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
            what is cis, genderqueer, and Latin@?

I'm getting too old for this shit.
            I'm in favor of minorities or "politically challenged" people getting recognition for good work, but I agree that society is getting way too carried away with distinguishing people or being politically correct. As far as I'm concerned, there's:
            * Bilogical sex: Male, female, and if you want to get scientific, hermaphrodite
            * Sexual preference: Heterosexual, bisexual, homosexual, and asexual
            It really doesn't need to be any more complicated than that, and anyone who claims to be anything else is just seeking attention and pretending to be a victim, IMO.

But back on topic... pretty cool to see Outreachy has resulted in this much success. I'm interested to know what specifically they accomplished.
            Last edited by schmidtbag; 18 March 2016, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sirffuzzylogik View Post
              Could anyone explain why the number of commits on the kernel dropped in 2016?

Source: https://www.openhub.net/p/linux & https://github.com/git/git/graphs/commit-activity
              It didn't, the drop-off is an artefact. If you come back in a few months, it'll look like it suddenly dropped then instead.

Git dates commits by the date they were committed.

No-one (except Linus) just writes code and commits it straight into the mainline, so almost every commit reaching the mainline has been through -next, maintainer trees, the developer's private branches...

Because of that, almost every commit is weeks old before OpenHub or GitHub sees it in the main branch. Most of the code written in the last couple of months won't show up until the 4.7 merge window.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                But back on topic... I pretty cool to see Outreachy has resulted in this much success. I'm interested to know what specifically they accomplished.
                I looked at some of the change log.

I saw a lot of things like "removed braces where they were unnecessary", "removed parentheses from return calls", "removed blank lines", etc.

As we all know, if somebody has the competence to contribute and ambition and desire, they don't need an "outreach program" to get them to contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  As we all know, if somebody has the competence to contribute and ambition and desire, they don't need an "outreach program" to get them to contribute.
                  That's entirely bullshit. We have Google summer of code, Outreachy and that Google "do a simple task". If everything was as simple as you make it out to be, this stuff wouldn't be successful. Though I'm guessing you just define competence to exclude everyone who needs a bit of guidance or is affected by some of the difficulties?

Talk to some of the people who helped out to guide newcomers. There's _so_ much things which you learn over the years to do easily that's entirely vague to a newcomer. Figuring out a good workflow, etc. I know that Wikipedia that super simplistic tasks; think just getting on their IRC development channel. Loads of people failed! They might be awesome coders, but there's so much things specific to free software development. IRC, mailing list, etc.

For you the learning curve is over; now you cannot imagine why someone else could have any difficulties. Helpout at one of above projects, it'll give you way better insight.

Comment

We're not talking about helping newbies. We're talking about the idea that a "genderqueer" person would not be able to contribute were it not for a special program.

Of course, people who have their brains activated recognize that "Outreachy" is nothing more than a cover for SJW entryism.

Comment

Working...
                    X