Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.5 Kernel Officially Released

Phoronix: Linux 4.5 Kernel Officially Released

Linus Torvalds went ahead and released Linux 4.5 over the night...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Amd managed to broke amdgpu CIK support after 4.5-rc5. linux-master from github has the same problem. One amd programmer has worked too much and amd resource managements sucks.
    Any detailed info? Patch that broke this?

Comment

Aaaand suspend on enduro is broken: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=112781

Comment

Amd managed to broke amdgpu CIK support after 4.5-rc5. linux-master from github has the same problem. One amd programmer has worked too much and amd resource managements sucks.
        Can confirm, the whole system hangs on AMD Bonaire (GPU, not an APU) and Xorg-server-1.18.2 when trying to start X. Tested with and without PowerPlay, even tried to compile the kernel without Simple Framebuffer, same result: only hard reset helps.

EDIT: Also copied the drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu folder from linux-4.5-rc5 into linux-4.5.0 and now AMDGPU works fine with PowerPlay (only 5 FPS increase in Dota 2 though, but it's CPU bound since my CPU is low-end).
        Last edited by ThrowAway3000; 14 March 2016, 04:10 PM.

Comment

More information about my settings, since Private Messages don't work for your account. My system boots with AMDGPU at the same speed as RadeonSI. X starts even faster by 0.5s or so, as well as MPV (video player). Zero problems so far.

I used the same kernel options as you (including Vesa framebuffer + Simple framebuffer), maybe you can try without framebuffer support? Otherwise it's just AMDGPU acting weird with APUs.
          But I also use PowerPlay (kernel option and amdgpu.powerplay=1 in Grub).

Relevant Xorg.conf settings:

Section "Device"
          Identifier "amdgpu"
          Driver "amdgpu"
          Option "DRI" "3"
          Option "DRI3" "on"
          Option "RenderAccel" "on"
          Option "ColorTiling" "on"
          Option "ColorTiling2D" "on"
          Option "AccelDFS" "on"
          Option "SwapbuffersWait" "false"
          EndSection

Comment

So what is the best way to detect kernel version at runtime?

If we are to use MADV_FREE over MADV_DONTNEED, we can't just check if it is defined at compile time, we have to check if it will work at runtime.

Comment

Originally posted by ThrowAway3000 View Post

Can confirm, the whole system hangs on AMD Bonaire (GPU, not an APU) and Xorg-server-1.18.2 when trying to start X. Tested with and without PowerPlay, even tried to compile the kernel without Simple Framebuffer, same result: only hard reset helps.

EDIT: Also copied the drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu folder from linux-4.5-rc5 into linux-4.5.0 and now AMDGPU works fine with PowerPlay (only 5 FPS increase in Dota 2 though, but it's CPU bound since my CPU is low-end).
              I would like to try amdgpu on my 390x, but my system also freezes when I try to start X.
              Did you roll back to any specific version? Or did you overwrite some files to get it working on 4.5? Any bug filed around this?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by dc740 View Post

I would like to try amdgpu on my 390x, but my system also freezes when I try to start X.
                Did you roll back to any specific version? Or did you overwrite some files to get it working on 4.5? Any bug filed around this?

Thanks!
                It says right there in the quoted post: "copied the drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu folder from linux-4.5-rc5 into linux-4.5.0 and now AMDGPU works fine".
                So I downloaded the 4.5-rc5 kernel sources and replaced the amdgpu folder in 4.5.0 sources.
                Upstream doesn't like bugs submitted for experimental code paths, not sure where it will be appropriate, maybe on bugs.freedesktop.org.

Comment

Working...
                X