Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.5 Appears To Slightly Lower Power Use, But Linux 4.6 Will Be Even Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.5 Appears To Slightly Lower Power Use, But Linux 4.6 Will Be Even Better

Phoronix: Linux 4.5 Appears To Slightly Lower Power Use, But Linux 4.6 Will Be Even Better

With Linux 4.5 expected this weekend, I've been running some more, one-off tests of this new kernel. One of the latest test runs was looking at the power use of the kernel on an Intel Haswell ultrabook...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

it seems the savings come from CPU cooler. it seems that with 4.6 the CPU is hotter. at least according to the graph.

Comment

@Michael: There seem to be typos in the text:

"Linux 4.5 Appears To Slightly Lower Power Use" - verb missing.

First two graphs: "Inntel"

Comment

So, what happens to my carrizo laptop? And other laptops with different hardware? To me, reading the article, looks like the lower power usage is for exclusively for that laptop with specific intel hardware. There should be at least another completely different machine to say that newer kernels are less power hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by froyo View Post
          @Michael: There seem to be typos in the text:

"Linux 4.5 Appears To Slightly Lower Power Use" - verb missing.

First two graphs: "Inntel"
          In the title, "lower" is being used as a verb. The statement is grammatically correct.

The Inntel typo can't really be changed now, the graphs were made by PTS and Michael must've misspelled it when he did the tests. I don't think you can change the names of the tests after they've been done.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
            So, what happens to my carrizo laptop? And other laptops with different hardware? To me, reading the article, looks like the lower power usage is for exclusively for that laptop with specific intel hardware. There should be at least another completely different machine to say that newer kernels are less power hungry.
            Unfortunately, I only have Intel laptops/ultrabooks.... So no access to AMD mobile systems unfortunately unless some company wants to send one out or a bunch of people tip and earmark the money for one, etc.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I will wait for november release before using a new Linux distro because of kernel and wayland is not well implemented yet.

Comment

btw simple question: which diagnostic too operate in linux allowing to understand what drivers and kernel optimization the operating system has to apply?

Comment

What about skylake?

Comment

What happens to power use if you just enable FB and PSR on 4.4 ? On vanilla HSW hardware, there shouldn't be much chance of heartbreak .

Comment

Working...
                    X