Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using 64-bit Linux Software To Reduce Power Consumption?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using 64-bit Linux Software To Reduce Power Consumption?

Phoronix: Using 64-bit Linux Software To Reduce Power Consumption?

With Ubuntu 16.04 LTS due for release next month, I found it time to do my occasional 32-bit vs. 64-bit Linux OS comparison for showcasing the performance difference of using the 64-bit software on supported hardware. This time around, at a premium member's request, I also did some power consumption monitoring between the 32-bit and 64-bit builds of Ubuntu 16.04 on an Intel laptop/ultrabook...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would make sense that 64-bit software running on a 64-bit processor uses less energy than 32-bit software running on a 64-bit processor. Just as unused memory is wasted memory, unused registers is wasted registers.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
      It would make sense that 64-bit software running on a 64-bit processor uses less energy than 32-bit software running on a 64-bit processor. Just as unused memory is wasted memory, unused registers is wasted registers.
      With better ASLR in the 64bit virtual address space (in 32bit there's not actually many possibilities) I'm not sure of any real reasons to use 32bit on machines with >= 2GiB RAM.

Comment

Just use tlp

Comment

Dat color variation thou! 8/10 couldn't tell which was 32 bit and which was 64 bit

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
            With leaky transistors, yes, unused registers will waste power. But generally speaking, that would be a negligible power difference. The way I see it, running 64 bit saves power because the CPU is accomplishing more in less time, and depending on the task, can handle more complicated calculations without working as hard, and therefore runs more efficiently. That being said, in some cases, if you were to max out a 64 bit CPU 100%, I would bet that it would use more power than running the same task in 32 bit.

As for "unused memory is wasted memory", I really hate that quote, because that couldn't be further from the truth. It's statements like that why we end up with such bloated software.
            Last edited by schmidtbag; 10 March 2016, 04:36 PM.

Comment

If you want to use Google Chrome with Flash (Chromium still runs on 32 bit) then you can only use a 64 bit OS. Hard time for old netbooks, well they have been too slow for Flash videos anyway...

Comment

I would be interested in knowing the difference with x32. I think that Debian supports the arch.

Comment

maybe you could try this with an AMD apu too?

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
                    maybe you could try this with an AMD apu too?
                    I have no AMD APU laptops.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X