Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Favorite Features/Changes Of The Linux 4.5 Kernel

Phoronix: My Favorite Features/Changes Of The Linux 4.5 Kernel

With Linux 4.5 looking like it will release next weekend, here's a look at my favorite features/changes of Linux 4.5..

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...rite-Linux-4.5

its said "PowerPlay support is critical for allowing newer GCN 1.2+" why 1.2? it also support 1.1 soo why it always said for gcn 1.2+ ? what i'm missing?

Comment

you don't use amdgpu w/ 1.1 by default. And you have reclocking w/ radeon. So to say it's "critical for GCN 1.2 [...]" is perfectly right, imho

Comment

So... one of your favourite features is work-in-progress support for a CPU that won't be released for another half a year or so. Weirdo.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          So... one of your favourite features is work-in-progress support for a CPU that won't be released for another half a year or so. Weirdo.
          Yes, rather than having to wait a half-year until the WIP support comes... So should be stable by then.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by nir2142 View Post
            its said "PowerPlay support is critical for allowing newer GCN 1.2+" why 1.2? it also support 1.1 soo why it always said for gcn 1.2+ ? what i'm missing?
            Originally posted by juno View Post
            you don't use amdgpu w/ 1.1 by default. And you have reclocking w/ radeon. So to say it's "critical for GCN 1.2 [...]" is perfectly right, imho
            Indeed.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Powerplay for VI dGPUs is enabled by default in 4.5.

Comment

More information on KernelNewbies.
                Summary of the changes and new features merged in the Linux kernel during the 4.5 development cycle

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yes, rather than having to wait a half-year until the WIP support comes... So should be stable by then.
                  For that, it's enough for intel to simply push everything before the planned release.
                  Yes, I know, commit early, commit often. But it's still nothing to rave about. Because when was the last time intel released a CPU w/o proper Linux support? I can't even remember.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

For that, it's enough for intel to simply push everything before the planned release.
                    Yes, I know, commit early, commit often. But it's still nothing to rave about. Because when was the last time intel released a CPU w/o proper Linux support? I can't even remember.
                    Uuuuh... Skylake? Since distributions are slow to pick up upstream kernel releases it makes sense to get in the kernel earlier.

Comment

Working...
                    X