Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Many New Features & Improvements Of The Linux 4.5 Kernel

Phoronix: The Many New Features & Improvements Of The Linux 4.5 Kernel

With Linux 4.5-rc1 expected for release today that will mark the end of this cycle's merge window, here is a look at the new features and improved functionality present for this major Linux kernel release that will then be officially christened in about two months time.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this mean the same compiled kernel binary can be used for the Raspberry Pi with bcm2835 and Pi 2B?

By the way, I am struggling to get on the forums using Safari on an iPhone 6 (simply displays a blank page).

Comment

Stop exaggerating. Many new features ? Many bits here and there, but rarely something noteworthy, especially not something that would be really significant for some particular machine. I'm not criticising, just stating the obvious. Gone are the days when we updated to each new kernel the day it was released. I'm still on 4.1.15 and I estimate that I won't have reason to upgrade at least to 5.0, if not later.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
        Stop exaggerating. Many new features ? Many bits here and there, but rarely something noteworthy, especially not something that would be really significant for some particular machine. I'm not criticising, just stating the obvious. Gone are the days when we updated to each new kernel the day it was released. I'm still on 4.1.15 and I estimate that I won't have reason to upgrade at least to 5.0, if not later.
        Depends on what you're after. As an end user, I agree with you. But for a developer, many of those "many bits" may be features on their own (though I don't think any developer will be waiting for all the "many bits", as people tend to be a little more focused than that).

Comment

Very useful summary, thanks.

I keep hoping for more Baytrail patches to make it easier to run Linux on those Windows tablets that have interesting hardware.

Comment

A real excellent kernel I hope to see it implemented on the next distro release.

Comment

Whether or not it is noteworthy probably depends on your hardware and / usage. Open source AMD users for instance will probably be keen to upgrade to this latest kernel.

Comment

You must be running really old hardware then as there's a ton of exciting stuff if you're using a lot of latest hardware.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks for the helpful summary Michael.

Comment

Does Raspberry Pi 3D drivers support mean that we can se a full futured Android port for the RPI?

Comment

Working...
                    X