Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's No KDBUS (Or BUS1) For The Linux 4.5 Kernel

Phoronix: There's No KDBUS (Or BUS1) For The Linux 4.5 Kernel

While a lot of new functionality has been merged for Linux 4.5, there isn't KDBUS or any other new in-kernel IPC mechanism...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: There's No KDBUS (Or BUS1) For The Linux 4.5 Kernel
    I like these kind of news. I have another news "there is also no zfs, no new cpu scheduler, and nvidia didn't open sourced their drivers"

Comment

Originally posted by michal View Post

I like these kind of news. I have another news "there is also no zfs, no new cpu scheduler, and nvidia didn't open sourced their drivers"
      "Nothing exciting happened today"

Comment

ZFS can't ever be merged. Nvidia is to GPUs what Apple is to mobile devices, we will see them open sourcing something when Hell freezes over. But are we really expecting a new CPU scheduler or was it just sarcasm?

Comment

I hope on BUS1 I assume kdbus will never be realized.

Comment

trollbait, now you know what this news is

Comment

I thought BUS1 is the KDBUS re-implementation (with the legacy cruft removed)

Comment

If the intention is to move dbus to the kernel so it is available at boot time, why not simply modify libdbus, gdbus, dbus-glib, qtdbus, and whatever other dbus clients there are to support an IPC functionality in the kernel?
                It would be similar to how we moved from fam/gamin to inotify. Clients were modified to use inotify instead.

Speaking of kdbus, I did test it. It was able to handle legacy clients except polkit which was broken even though it was ported to gdbus.

Comment

who is pushing dbus into kernel? I suppose it's pottering again with his innovations, isn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by flux242 View Post
                    who is pushing dbus into kernel? I suppose it's pottering again with his innovations, isn't he?
                    Kay Sievers probably, don't think Lennart had anything to do with kernel side of KDBUS/BUS1.

Comment

Working...
                    X