PulseAudio 8.0 Brings Systemd Journal Logging, OS X / NetBSD Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PulseAudio 8.0 Brings Systemd Journal Logging, OS X / NetBSD Improvements

Phoronix: PulseAudio 8.0 Brings Systemd Journal Logging, OS X / NetBSD Improvements

PulseAudio 8.0 has been released as the latest version of this open-source sound server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ohh, this very much seems like a release that can finally fix my usb headphone issues

Comment

Is there an easy way to update pulseaudio in linux mint 17.3? Currently I have 0.4 and not everything works.

Comment

Originally posted by D_T_G View Post
        Is there an easy way to update pulseaudio in linux mint 17.3? Currently I have 0.4 and not everything works.
        switch over to Manjaro and wait until next week (or 2 Weeks. maybe it'll take a while in unstable and testing). as mint user you'll love it and its not that insecure as mint is :P

otherwise ... no

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
          you'll love it and its not that insecure as mint is :P
          Ahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by D_T_G View Post
            Yes, and no. It's really not that bad though. There's a PPA that would work which is:
            Code:
            ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/pulse-testing
            And assuming you have a version that works with it, you would run:

Code:
            sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/pulse-testing
            sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
            Otherwise you will have to do it manually. I do it like this:

Code:
            sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
            Copy and paste the highest version (right now is 16.04) wherever you like, usually at the very top or very bottom.

Code:
            deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-audio-dev/pulse-testing/ubuntu xenial main
            Save, and then

Code:
            sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 72B194E5
            sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
            I like my version because if it breaks something (which this kind of thing usually does) then all you have to use is gedit, remove the line, save and update/dist-upgrade. With add-apt-repository, it will create a separate file the same name as the ppa in /etc/apt which you simply have to delete, but I don't like to have to navigate all the way to it to find out it's name, then type it all out in the terminal like /etc/apt/sources/blahblah*.list, so instead I run sudo nautilus which sometimes breaks since it doesn't like that, so I run sudo nautilus /etc/apt
            Last edited by profoundWHALE; 22 January 2016, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
              sudo nautilus /etc/apt
              Please read ... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ro...Graphical_sudo :/

Comment

Awesome, it really works now

However... One of the best new feature of this pulseaudio:
                In case a sound card contains more than one profile (e g analog and HDMI profiles), module-switch-on-port-available will now switch away from the profile when no ports are available. E g, on a HTPC with headphones and HDMI outputs only, unplugging headphones will reroute the sound to HDMI, which did not work before. In addition, we also remember the last used profile for a port, so the expected HDMI profile is chosen (instead of just falling back to stereo).

that is true on if you load the module: "
                module-switch-on-connect" (which is not loaded by default) and only works on non KDE environments.. Sadly...

By default, pulseaudio is started via
                /bin/start-pulseaudio-x11 when you start a GUI environment (kde, plasma, gnome, etc...)

That file includes the lines:
                if [ x"$KDE_FULL_SESSION" = x"true" ]; then
                /usr/bin/pactl load-module module-device-manager "do_routing=1" > /dev/null
                fi
                And that specific module is apparently breaking the switching from module-switch-on-connect. In this case the fix is easy.
                Comment the if out in start-pulseaudio-x11 and add the line:
                load-module module-switch-on-connect
                to /etc/pulse/default.pa

Then switching seems to work just fine for me. Also under KDE/Plasma5

Hope this helps others.
                Going to add this to the archlinux pulseaudio wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
                  Comment the if out in start-pulseaudio-x11 and add the line:

to /etc/pulse/default.pa

Then switching seems to work just fine for me. Also under KDE/Plasma5

Hope this helps others.
                  Going to add this to the archlinux pulseaudio wiki.
                  Oh ta, useful info

Comment

f23 may get it

Comment

Working...
                    X