PulseAudio 8.0 Brings Systemd Journal Logging, OS X / NetBSD Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PulseAudio 8.0 Brings Systemd Journal Logging, OS X / NetBSD Improvements

Phoronix: PulseAudio 8.0 Brings Systemd Journal Logging, OS X / NetBSD Improvements

PulseAudio 8.0 has been released as the latest version of this open-source sound server...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...o-8.0-Released

Ohh, this very much seems like a release that can finally fix my usb headphone issues

Comment

Is there an easy way to update pulseaudio in linux mint 17.3? Currently I have 0.4 and not everything works.

Comment

Originally posted by D_T_G View Post
        Is there an easy way to update pulseaudio in linux mint 17.3? Currently I have 0.4 and not everything works.
        switch over to Manjaro and wait until next week (or 2 Weeks. maybe it'll take a while in unstable and testing). as mint user you'll love it and its not that insecure as mint is :P

otherwise ... no

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
          you'll love it and its not that insecure as mint is :P
          Ahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by D_T_G View Post
            Yes, and no. It's really not that bad though. There's a PPA that would work which is:
            Code:
            ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/pulse-testing
            And assuming you have a version that works with it, you would run:

Code:
            sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/pulse-testing
            sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
            Otherwise you will have to do it manually. I do it like this:

Code:
            sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
            Copy and paste the highest version (right now is 16.04) wherever you like, usually at the very top or very bottom.

Code:
            deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-audio-dev/pulse-testing/ubuntu xenial main
            Save, and then

Code:
            sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 72B194E5
            sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
            I like my version because if it breaks something (which this kind of thing usually does) then all you have to use is gedit, remove the line, save and update/dist-upgrade. With add-apt-repository, it will create a separate file the same name as the ppa in /etc/apt which you simply have to delete, but I don't like to have to navigate all the way to it to find out it's name, then type it all out in the terminal like /etc/apt/sources/blahblah*.list, so instead I run sudo nautilus which sometimes breaks since it doesn't like that, so I run sudo nautilus /etc/apt
            Last edited by profoundWHALE; 22 January 2016, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
              sudo nautilus /etc/apt
              Please read ... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ro...Graphical_sudo :/

Comment

Awesome, it really works now

However... One of the best new feature of this pulseaudio:
                In case a sound card contains more than one profile (e g analog and HDMI profiles), module-switch-on-port-available will now switch away from the profile when no ports are available. E g, on a HTPC with headphones and HDMI outputs only, unplugging headphones will reroute the sound to HDMI, which did not work before. In addition, we also remember the last used profile for a port, so the expected HDMI profile is chosen (instead of just falling back to stereo).

that is true on if you load the module: "
                module-switch-on-connect" (which is not loaded by default) and only works on non KDE environments.. Sadly...

By default, pulseaudio is started via
                /bin/start-pulseaudio-x11 when you start a GUI environment (kde, plasma, gnome, etc...)

That file includes the lines:
                if [ x"$KDE_FULL_SESSION" = x"true" ]; then
                /usr/bin/pactl load-module module-device-manager "do_routing=1" > /dev/null
                fi
                And that specific module is apparently breaking the switching from module-switch-on-connect. In this case the fix is easy.
                Comment the if out in start-pulseaudio-x11 and add the line:
                load-module module-switch-on-connect
                to /etc/pulse/default.pa

Then switching seems to work just fine for me. Also under KDE/Plasma5

Hope this helps others.
                Going to add this to the archlinux pulseaudio wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
                  Comment the if out in start-pulseaudio-x11 and add the line:

to /etc/pulse/default.pa

Then switching seems to work just fine for me. Also under KDE/Plasma5

Hope this helps others.
                  Going to add this to the archlinux pulseaudio wiki.
                  Oh ta, useful info

Comment

f23 may get it

Comment

Working...
                    X