Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    It sounds like the kernel has excellent comment notations suggesting improvements above and beyond necessary functioning.

People have legitimate reasons to be annoyed with Canonical.
    ✓ Mir
    ✓Unity 8 being so far behind announced schedule
    ✓ Abandoned projects like ✓ Upstart, ✓ Ubuntu Software Center, ✓Ubuntu One
    ✓ The way the Ubuntu Council & Mark Shuttleworth forced Jonathan Riddell out of leadership on Kubuntu
    ✓ Kickstarting Ubuntu Edge and then not doing it after 12 million backing.
    ✓ Waiting on full Ubuntu Convergance and a non-rebranded Android
    ✓ Waiting on Canonical to sell Ubuntu Phone directly to consumers via Telecommunication Stores

The list goes on and on and on.

ColinIanKing - Great job on your personal work and your commercially funded work aswell. Me personally - I think it's immoral to rename the "Linux Kernel" as the "Ubuntu Kernel", but It's a good thing to have more hands in projects.

The criticism against Canonical takes many forms, it may be recycled or not 100% technically correct, but the motive and frustrations are real and well founded.

"Instead they use all their engineering force to fork stuff and create a software stack incompatible with all the existing FOSS solutions :/ " The technicalities are irellevant to me because the message is clear - Canonical doesn't like to play outside of their sandbox and has made some really dumb decisions without considering the people that supported them in FOSS.

It's annoying to see all these "new ideas" get pioneered, get users onboard and excited, and then be thrown in the trash after a year or two, what a waste. This is the message most people want to give - wasted time, energy, code, and distraction from projects that will be here for 30+ years is annoying.

Leave a comment:

• ColinIanKing
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
    In case Canonical would contribute more actively to the kernel, those FIXME/TODOs most likely could be reduced quite a bit.
    Instead they use all their engineering force to fork stuff and create a software stack incompatible with all the existing FOSS solutions :/
    Well, I want to refute that. In just past the past year alone I have made over 2000+ commits to various projects [1]. Some of these I've developed during my paid hours in Canonical and are used by various other distros. I've also been submitting patches to the Kernel rather frequently as I am focused on fixing small bugs that creep into the kernel.

Here are some projects I've been creating for the greater good: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~cking/
    Note that one of the projects, "The Firmware Test Suite" has is a UEFI recognised defacto firmware test suite used by many companies [2]

So to say "Instead they use all their engineering force to fork stuff and create a software stack incompatible with all the existing FOSS solutions :/ " is tiresome, as you clearly need to check out your facts rather then keep re-cycling this fallacy.

[1] https://github.com/ColinIanKing
    [2] http://www.uefi.org/testtools

Leave a comment:

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    Welcome to horders paradise. Everything here has a place. I just haven't figured out where to put it all, and how it will improve the system. Now where did I put all those TO DOs and FIX Mes. Oh yes! Right in horders paradise.

Leave a comment:

• YoungManKlaus
    replied
    Cute. Got a code base that's like 1% of the kernel size and has at least 10% of it's TODOs and most things I saw looked the same (or people playing deaf and blind).

Leave a comment:

• Linuxhippy
    replied
    In case Canonical would contribute more actively to the kernel, those FIXME/TODOs most likely could be reduced quite a bit.
    Instead they use all their engineering force to fork stuff and create a software stack incompatible with all the existing FOSS solutions :/

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic The Thousands Of FIXMEs & TODOs In The Linux Kernel

The Thousands Of FIXMEs & TODOs In The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: The Thousands Of FIXMEs & TODOs In The Linux Kernel

Canonical's Colin King has looked at the number of FIXME and TODO comments within the Linux kernel tree...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nel-FIXME-TODO
Working...
X