New Patches Posted For Addressing Year 2038 Problem In Linux File-Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Patches Posted For Addressing Year 2038 Problem In Linux File-Systems

Phoronix: New Patches Posted For Addressing Year 2038 Problem In Linux File-Systems

Some patches from 2014 have been revived in hopes of addressing the Year 2038 problem for Linux file-systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now, who's gonna solve the problem of year 292,277,026,596?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Now, who's gonna solve the problem of year 292,277,026,596?
      Well, if we can solve this in time, I guess we can solve that one too in a few dozen billion years or so.

Comment

Would it be better to change the epoch to 1991?
        Last edited by clockley1; 07 January 2016, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clockley1 View Post
          Would it be better to change to the epoch to 1991?
          That's just pushing back the problem by a small number of years... And would then immediately break all existing applications anyways as they would all need to be updated to factor in the time adjustment.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

That's just pushing back the problem by a small number of years... And would then immediately break all existing applications anyways as they would all need to be updated to factor in the time adjustment.
            I thought this was how Microsoft successfully fixed the y2k problems several times in a row.

Comment

Sounds like IPv4 vs IPv6, I would laugh to see a shift from numeric to alpha thereby differentiating between the old and the new, and instead of only 10 characters alpha has 26.

Comment

I just looked at my Casio G Shock Atomic Radio Controlled watch and found that the calendar only goes up to 2038. Makes me wonder if I will have to buy a new one.

Comment

Working...
                X