Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webmin 1.780 Brings Let's Encrypt Support

Phoronix: Webmin 1.780 Brings Let's Encrypt Support

Webmin, the open-source project offering web-based system/server administration on Linux and an alternative to cPanel, is out with a new release after being a few months in development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Been using lets encrypt for a little while. Works really well, so really hope it holds up.
    Webmin, on the other hand.... is just an added layer of crap to break/exploit that doesn't actually do anything useful.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Been using lets encrypt for a little while. Works really well, so really hope it holds up.
      Webmin, on the other hand.... is just an added layer of crap to break/exploit that doesn't actually do anything useful.
      I generally use webmin to configure Apache vhosts and some other minor stuff. But yea for the rest I prefer cli.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        For managing an individual server, it doesn't get you much except newbie-friendliness. An experienced admin will do much better from ssh (or mosh, https://mosh.mit.edu/ ).

I'm less sure about larger server cluster management. At work we have VMWare ESXi, and the web-based GUI for managing dozens of servers and hundreds of VMs is really well done. Five minutes after I saw it for the first time I could use all of the features. Chef, Puppet, Salt, Ansible, or a giant pile of shell scripts might give you that same level of information and control on your whole network of machines, but not with a five minute learning curve. And even if you know your command line configuration management tool really well, if you move to a new company with the same tool you're still going to spend hours grepping through the config files to understand your new employer's setup. If I move to a new employer that uses VMWare, I'll be able to understand their whole VMWare setup minutes after I get access to their ESXi hosts.

I don't know that Webmin + (one of Xen, Virtualbox, KVM) is good enough to replace ESXi today. I've never used Webmin. But I think if the project has a target like that in mind, it makes it worthwhile for it to exist.

Comment

I just love it when some "random-self-proclaimed-ninja-admin-clown" gives his useless insights about things he clearly doesn't get have a clue about. droidhacker maybe you can give us, the rest of the noobs, some examples where Webmin "breaks/exploit" stuff? Because I have been using it alongside Usermin, Virtualmin, Cloudmin for 15 years+ and didn't notice any, not more like the rest of your average software... Also cli: don't know why it's something you think people tend to forget about it? And I dare to say the Webmins and family security history track is much better than most, it's enterprise grade web hosting software that beats the shit out of cPanel and Plesk.

Notice the long *min list, that doesn't "break", dealing with stuff from writing a DVD to partitioning, web mail, file management, setting every major server software there is, virtual hosting and VPS hosting, so on and on - pages of features, literally. All open source. And now "Let's encrypt". Your point, besides trolling, being? That it shouldn't?

Regards - your noob Webmin fan.
          Last edited by fakemoth; 04 January 2016, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X