Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.27-rc3 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.27-rc3 Kernel Released

It's just shy of one week since Linus Torvalds had released the Linux 2.6.27-rc2, but last night the third release candidate was pushed out. Linus only notes to major changes with the Linux 2.6.27-rc3 kernel and that is the architecture include files continue to be migrated to their new naming/folder convention and the integration of the new Atheros wireless driver. Late last month Atheros had released the ath9k 802.11n WiFi driver for their AR5418+AR5133, AR5416+AR5133, AR5416+AR2133, AR9160, AR9280, and AR9281 chipsets...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did somebody try that kernel? There are several issues with it:

a) If you enable PARAVIRT then this is problematic:

arch/x86/kernel/paravirt.c:EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(pv_lock_ops);

That makes it impossible to compile fglrx or nvidia drivers (even if you apply the correct ABI changes) until you use a tricky workaround.

b) Some users reported problems with those drivers:

* e1000e - Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver (PCI-E)
    * zd1211rw - USB driver for devices with the ZD1211 chip

Comment

So when it comes to wireless, it's safe to buy intel and atheros, but avoid broadcom like the plague, right? What other major manufacturers should a body keep in mind, and what angles are their heads on at?

(assuming one relies completely on wifi for their laptop internet connection, and doesn't want to have to screw with stuff that doesn't Just Work)
      Last edited by ethana2; 13 August 2008, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Well BCM works when you install the firmware, in Debian using

apt-get install b43-fwcutter

At least most of the chips work with it then.

Comment

Right, but it's kinda hard to apt-get install something when you have multiple laptops, a wireless router in a different room, no extra ethernet cables, and a wifi chip that doesn't work.

It's not like a 3d accel driver, where the machine is technically usable without it. Wifi that doesn't Just Work can be a nightmare.

Comment

Then just package what it is loaded. As simple hack:

tar zcvf b43-firmware.tgz /lib/firmware/b43*
            alien b43-firmware.tgz

Then you have got a deb - very hard, isnt it?
            Last edited by Kano; 13 August 2008, 01:04 PM.

Comment

*sigh*
              And don't think these machines are just for me, say I get one for my mom or my grandma..

Nevermind, a general purchasing question has been misinterpreted as a request for workarounds involving the terminal..

Comment

Do you think Intel drivers work without firmware?

Comment

I don't care if a card needs firmware, as long as it comes /on/ the ubuntu install media and I don't have to mess with it.

I have known all intel hardware to Just Work, from the GPU to the wifi. That's what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
                    So when it comes to wireless, it's safe to buy intel and atheros, but avoid broadcom like the plague, right? What other major manufacturers should a body keep in mind, and what angles are their heads on at?

(assuming one relies completely on wifi for their laptop internet connection, and doesn't want to have to screw with stuff that doesn't Just Work)
                    From what I have heard, the atheros drivers (other than madwifi) aren't completely ready, and mileage varies

Intel should be the safest

Comment

Working...
                    X