No announcement yet.

Adobe Flash Player 10 Release Candidate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to Ubuntu's popcon (which is disabled by default, needs to be activated to report anon. data) under 15% of the installations are 64bit.

I didn't check debians, but I don't expect it to be much higher either.

Comment

http://smolt.fedoraproject.org/static/stats/stats.html (also opt in to send data)
      20.7% if you add ppc64 its 21%

Comment

That's the chicken and the egg speaking, to mix a metaphor. So few people install 64-bit versions because it's such a flipping pain to get them to work with all the 32-bit only software.

Comment

Adobe is too poor to spend dollars for a 64-bit port. They barely get enough money together for their daily bread, how to you expect them to raise the funds for a 64-bit version of Flash? Geez, you people should be thankful for the awesome piece of software called Adobe Flash(TM) rather than ranting about 64-bit support.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
            According to Ubuntu's popcon (which is disabled by default, needs to be activated to report anon. data) under 15% of the installations are 64bit.

I didn't check debians, but I don't expect it to be much higher either.

That doesn't suprise me as debian was very late to the 64-bit game (4 years behind other distro's). However if you take a look at the the more mature 64-bit distro's such as openSUSE 1 in 3 systems is 64-bit on the latest release and with every release grows faster and faster (5% for the last release).

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              Adobe is too poor to spend dollars for a 64-bit port. They barely get enough money together for their daily bread, how to you expect them to raise the funds for a 64-bit version of Flash? Geez, you people should be thankful for the awesome piece of software called Adobe Flash(TM) rather than ranting about 64-bit support.
              Heh... Write it 64-bit clean in the first place and you'll take care of both, actually. FYI- I wouldn't trust any code that wasn't 64-bit clean because there's a lot of intrinsically BAD coding practices that fall under the "unclean" category (Cardinal rule #1 of coding: an "int" is NOT the same as a "void *" in C/C++ terms... I'm pretty sure Flash's code breaks that rule... Anything that doesn't marshal that void pointer to something proper with a way other than typecasting is going to be iffy code to begin with.) and it might be a source of nasty transients.

Comment

Well you know what is different, why don't you help em then

Comment

Svartalf, did you ever port a JIT/dynamic recompiler? If no, please shut up.
                  I hope the Flash guy will make a version available that has at least libcurl statically linked in. It's also possible to make libnss optional, so that without it you simply won't be able to use SSL.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Well you know what is different, why don't you help em then
                    I offered back when I was one of the early adopters for x86-64 (I happen to still have the Solo2 motherboard AMD gave me...)...they didn't seem too interested back then, Kano. Not my problem, really, I'm trying to get other fights fought nowadays...
                    Last edited by Svartalf; 14 August 2008, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by greg View Post
                      Svartalf, did you ever port a JIT/dynamic recompiler? If no, please shut up.
                      Have you? If so, please enlighten us as to why it would be radically different than what I commented on? If not, please spare everyone the commentary on the subject.

Comment

Working...
                      X