No announcement yet.

Btrfs In Linux 4.4 Has Many Improvements/Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about raid 5 write hole? This is what I would like to read in the changelog.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I'd be interested in the "btrfs is no longer 30% slower than every other FS for no real reason when writing new data / reading old data".

Its always a bummer to put btrfs on an ssd when you know you are instantly gimping the performance for checksumming, snapshots, cow, and compression.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        What about raid 5 write hole? This is what I would like to read in the changelog.
        The RAID write hole phenomenon is not specific to RAID 5.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post

That is absolutely false sir. Poor programmers use that excuse often because they don't like to test or write documentation.
          Your optimism is adorable.

I probably spend 80% of my development time documenting my software's interfaces and general architectural concepts (as well as UX. Which is very important to me).
          Even with all the micromanagement and drive for perfection, I still regularly discover bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
            Yeah. I'll be more excited when I read an article saying "Btrfs In Linux X.Y Has One Small RFE and No Fixes, Cut It's All Stable And Shit Now"

I have not experienced an issue with btrfs in the last year or so. that said, I am using it for a pretty standard use case with no fancy experimental features turned on.

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post

Yes, but the question is can you trust a Btrfs filesystem with your data in the same way you trust ext4? Given the continued shaky state of ZFS on linux, I'm more than ready for someone to answer that question with a yes (but haven't heard it yet).
              Yes
              Use it and see what shakes out
              I have not had any data loss at all on btrfs, been using it for more than a year

Comment

That is absolutely false sir. Poor programmers use that excuse often because they don't like to test or write documentation.
                and how do you guarantee tools like compiler version you used didn't have a bug? even helloworld is only bug free as much as your code goes. and trying to guarantee bug free code grows harder and harder with the problem or complexity you solve.

Comment

HAHAHA

HAHA

HAHAHAHA

Tell us another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Ext4 still gets bug fixes. It will NEVER happen. NO program that does ANYTHING meaningful, or complex enough to be valuable, will EVER be 100% bug free.
                    While you've given yourself a nice out with your phrasing, I'd counter with sel4.

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post

Yes, but the question is can you trust a Btrfs filesystem with your data in the same way you trust ext4? Given the continued shaky state of ZFS on linux, I'm more than ready for someone to answer that question with a yes (but haven't heard it yet).
                      I don't know about oracle's implementation, but freebsd has 231 zfs related bugs (https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/bu...ebsd-fs&v2=zfs).
                      Trust it at your peril!!!!

edit: thats vs 95 for ext4 (https://bugzilla.kernel.org/buglist....ormat=specific), and 299 for btrfs (https://bugzilla.kernel.org/buglist....ormat=specific).

Comment

Working...
                      X