Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs In Linux 4.4 Has Many Improvements/Fixes

Phoronix: Btrfs In Linux 4.4 Has Many Improvements/Fixes

Chris Mason sent in the pull request today for updating the Btrfs file-system for Linux 4.4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah. I'll be more excited when I read an article saying "Btrfs In Linux X.Y Has One Small RFE and No Fixes, Cut It's All Stable And Shit Now"

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
      Yeah. I'll be more excited when I read an article saying "Btrfs In Linux X.Y Has One Small RFE and No Fixes, Cut It's All Stable And Shit Now"
      Ext4 still gets bug fixes. It will NEVER happen. NO program that does ANYTHING meaningful, or complex enough to be valuable, will EVER be 100% bug free.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Ext4 still gets bug fixes. It will NEVER happen. NO program that does ANYTHING meaningful, or complex enough to be valuable, will EVER be 100% bug free.
        Yes, but the question is can you trust a Btrfs filesystem with your data in the same way you trust ext4? Given the continued shaky state of ZFS on linux, I'm more than ready for someone to answer that question with a yes (but haven't heard it yet).

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post

Yes, but the question is can you trust a Btrfs filesystem with your data in the same way you trust ext4? Given the continued shaky state of ZFS on linux, I'm more than ready for someone to answer that question with a yes (but haven't heard it yet).
          This is why, despite being a longtime Linux user on my workstation and many servers, I'm also running a FreeNAS box. If you truly value your data, I think it's the only viable (open) option right now.

Comment

NO program that does ANYTHING meaningful, or complex enough to be valuable, will EVER be 100% bug free.
            SILENCE, HERETIC! Zarro Boogs Found!!

Edit: Also, TeX.
            Last edited by hubick; 06 November 2015, 06:01 PM.

Comment

That is absolutely false sir. Poor programmers use that excuse often because they don't like to test or write documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post

This is why, despite being a longtime Linux user on my workstation and many servers, I'm also running a FreeNAS box. If you truly value your data, I think it's the only viable (open) option right now.
                Meh. I'm OK with a 12TB mdadm RAID 5 formatted with ext4 that lives inside my workstation and which gets backed up up to a little Synology box every night (otherwise I would have added another disk and set it up as a RAID 6). The WD Red drives are inexpensive and spin as quietly as the Green ones.

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post

Meh. I'm OK with a 12TB mdadm RAID 5 formatted with ext4 that lives inside my workstation and which gets backed up up to a little Synology box every night (otherwise I would have added another disk and set it up as a RAID 6). The WD Red drives are inexpensive and spin as quietly as the Green ones.
                  Hah, yeah, MD RAID might be fine if you also have a totally separate NAS!

My primary reason for FreeNAS+ZFS is for it's scrubs that verify checksums to prevent bitrot. I also backup to a USB drive periodically, but ZFS nightly snapshots are also awesome for mitigating screwups on my part, or cryptolocker type threats.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post

That is absolutely false sir. Poor programmers use that excuse often because they don't like to test or write documentation.
                    Sorry wargames, but myself, all of my programming friends, and all of the programmers at my department would like to say... bullshit. Every program out there that does anything worthwhile interfaces with some other program, written by someone else, at a different point in time. Maybe your code is bugged, maybe HIS code is bugged and its affecting your could, make BOTH your codes are bugged, maybe the HARDWARE is bugged and your program didnt account for that. There are an infinite number of ways that any piece of software can break due to the unimaginable number of combinations of hardware and software.

You do the best you can do with the tools, and time, that are available to you. After that, all you can do is fix bugs as you find them.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X