NetBeans 8.1 IDE Released With Java Enhancements, HTML5/JS/Node.js Goodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetBeans 8.1 IDE Released With Java Enhancements, HTML5/JS/Node.js Goodies

Phoronix: NetBeans 8.1 IDE Released With Java Enhancements, HTML5/JS/Node.js Goodies

For those still relying upon NetBeans as an integrated development environment primarily built around Java, the big 8.1 release is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I (have to) use this every day and it's still the worst of the three big Java IDEs.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      I (have to) use this every day and it's still the worst of the three big Java IDEs.
      I'll take it over eclipse any day of the week. We work pretty extensively with maven projects at my employer, and eclipse's maven support gives me headaches.

I'll admit that IntelliJ IDEA is pretty awesome, and plenty of the people here use it, but I haven't decided to make the jump yet.

I'm assuming that those were the 3 that you were thinking of... ?

Comment

I like Netbeans and prefer it to the other "big 2." Oracle hasn't ruined it yet, but it seems like development has really slowed. It's been well over a year since the last major version.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
          I'll admit that IntelliJ IDEA is pretty awesome, and plenty of the people here use it, but I haven't decided to make the jump yet.
          I'll second that jetbrains stuff is awesome, but their licenses are not. I'd have to purchase a license for each machine I use it on. That's a bit extreme, and I won't use it on principle. Also any benefit of it over Netbeans would be negligiable (for me)

Comment

I would like to see non-Java-based IDEs that have features similar to Netbeans minus C++ -- mostly HTML5/JS/CSS/PHP. I don't think Bluefish would ever come close to Eclipse in terms of workflow.

The last time I tried it for web development, if I run NetBeans idle, it slows my system down to a crawl until I quit and restart the IDE. This is even with minimal amount of plugins running in NetBeans.
            Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 04 November 2015, 02:34 PM.

Comment

For those still relying upon NetBeans
              Ouch. smh. What free IDE should I be using for Java and Web development?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                I doubt you have enough experience to judge that. Netbeans is quite nice IDE.

Comment

Does it support HiDPI on Linux?
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post

I'll second that jetbrains stuff is awesome, but their licenses are not. I'd have to purchase a license for each machine I use it on. That's a bit extreme, and I won't use it on principle. Also any benefit of it over Netbeans would be negligiable (for me)
                    It is easier to daydream than to read licensing agreement, or check the relevant page. What you said is wrong. That would be extreme, if it was true.
                    [edit]
                    I am refering only to the licensing part. I won't say Intellij is better, but I am not yet that experienced with it. From my current POV it doesn't look better at all. Maybe more feature rich, since it supports more languages via plugins, but regarding Java, and maybe PHP I don't see any real benefit, except again maybe that it supports a framework, or a tool one uses with Java, which could lack support in Netbeans. On the other side, claimed support doesn't mean it really works. For example I am having some hard times with Intellij and Play framework.
                    Last edited by reCAPTCHA; 04 November 2015, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X