Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PulseAudio 7.1 Released With Better Xonar Sound Card Support

Phoronix: PulseAudio 7.1 Released With Better Xonar Sound Card Support

One month after the release of PulseAudio 7.0, PulseAudio 7.1 is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I used to have a Xonar card (d2x IIRC), it's lying around here somewhere.

I just use HDMI audio these days, and let my receiver do all the hard work. Nice to see added support though. I switched from Creative to Xonar because Creatives drivers were awful on Windows and non-existent on Linux. Even back then (probably around 2012) Xonar cards were pretty useable in Linux, it's a brand I have a lot of respect for (if not a lot of use for these days).

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      I used to have a Xonar card (d2x IIRC), it's lying around here somewhere.

I just use HDMI audio these days, and let my receiver do all the hard work. Nice to see added support though. I switched from Creative to Xonar because Creatives drivers were awful on Windows and non-existent on Linux. Even back then (probably around 2012) Xonar cards were pretty useable in Linux, it's a brand I have a lot of respect for (if not a lot of use for these days).
      Interesting. I gave up on a dedicated sound card in Linux years ago. Are all Xonar cards well supported in Linux?
      Is there any benefit to a Xonar card in Linux besides some increased sound quality?

Comment

I am Xonair user.

I use one for many years now. (Xonair DX)
        It works very nice with Alsa. I can say flawlessly. I could set it up to use 192kbit sound(not viable for Linux gaming).
        By default it uses sane settings usable for gaming and MP3 and whatnot.
        I bought it because it had multichannel analogue dolby surround and PCI-E that works on Linux out of the box.

I had many issues with Pulse. It was so bad that I cursed it and promised myself to not ever use it.
        Now I use Apulse. It's replacing pulse. I use it only for skype.
        Steam uses Alsa.
        I suggest you to not ever use Pulse. I have seen pulse causing so many issues on so many different computers - not even funny.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
          I suggest you to not ever use Pulse. I have seen pulse causing so many issues on so many different computers - not even funny.
          Maybe with older version but the newer just got released with improvement it is worth to try again.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
            I had many issues with Pulse. It was so bad that I cursed it and promised myself to not ever use it.
            Now I use Apulse. It's replacing pulse. I use it only for skype.
            Steam uses Alsa.
            If you have a stereo speaker configuration and don't use any applications that depend on PA, then I'd consider PA to be completely unnecessary. ALSA is also fine is you watch 5.1 channel movies with SPDIF. However, I have found PA to be a pretty smooth experience and the only viable option for playing games in 5.1 surround sound. It isn't the mess that it used to be.

ALSA by itself would be a decent choice if configuring it wasn't a disaster. ALSA's config documentation is useless.

Comment

So how does one get updated PulseAUdio 7.1 for Mint 17.2? I have a Asus Xonar DS in my HTPC and just switched it from Windows 10 to Mint 17.2 but I can't get 5.1 Digital sound out of my setup. I can get crappy stereo PCM from it, but I can get that from my Radeon HD 6850 HDMI. If this fixies it so I get DTS working I would be happy.

Comment

The main problem I had with alsa was the mix of app sound, having game with music, music player and sometimes youtube at the back that is the reason I switched to PA, anyway when I want to listen music I put alsa on deadbeef, sound way better than PA.
                Well I avoid dedicated card as xonar or creative I just bough a cheaper dac and some regular headphones and I m done.

Comment

i never had problems with pulse

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Maybe with older version but the newer just got released with improvement it is worth to try again.
                    No it isn't, because Maciej Garwoliński has already tried and reported failure.

Comment

Working...
                    X