Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Is Ready To Land Zen Processor Support In The GCC Compiler

Phoronix: AMD Is Ready To Land Zen Processor Support In The GCC Compiler

Back in March was a patch enabling next-generation AMD Zen processor support for GCC and now it looks like this patch is ready to be added to the GNU Compiler Collect's trunk code-base for GCC 6...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This combined with GlobalFoundries saying their 14nm fab is 'ahead of schedule' makes me question a Q1/early Q2 release date for Zen.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      This combined with GlobalFoundries saying their 14nm fab is 'ahead of schedule' makes me question a Q1/early Q2 release date for Zen.
      Or it will be available for purchase early to mid 2017 when Intel already passed by - again.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        Interesting. The last I had heard from the rumour mill I had read online recently was that Global foundries may miss Q4 2016 hence AMD considering TSMC and the 16nm process.
        Last edited by You-; 04 October 2015, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

Interesting. The rumour mill I had read online recently was that Global foundries may miss Q4 2016 hence AMD considering TSMC and the 16nm process.
          it's ahead of schedule, verified by the senior manager of GlobalFoundries itself.
          Globalfoundries : 14LPE FinFET process on track for volume production this year, high performance 14LPP volume ramp early next year.

Comment

I swear WCCFT is worse than fudzilla back in the day. Just throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks. Though this article seems to actually have a reliable source. In any case i'd expect Zen to be a Q4 2016 product. I'd also like to remind people that Cannon Lake has been delayed to 2017 and Intel will release a Devils Canyon style rehash in 2016 called Kaby Lake. So plenty of time for AMD to get Zen out. I'm guessing it will actually compete with Skylake-E on the server front on release.

Comment

Here's hoping AMD will actually release something worthwhile.

Comment

Hopefully the costs and tuning tables will get some attention. Looking over the code, since amdfam8 little has changed on that front. It's hard to believe they are optimal. In many benchmarks I get better performance tuning for haswell or another recent intel than using native/amdfam10 for example.

Comment

Lot's of speculation.

Comment

I'll be waiting for things to come. And hopefully have enough money to buy the components for a system.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X