Google Announces New Hardware, Android 6.0 M Shipping Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Nexus 5X was a disappointment. It offers nothing new over the old Nexus 5.
    Still 2 GB RAM, still DDR3, still Gorilla Glass 3.
    Modern phones from the competition have 3-4 GB RAM, DDR4 and Gorilla Glass 4.
    16 GB storage is ridiculously little, they should have offered it with 32 GB as the entry version and one with 64 GB.

Nexus 6P has the ugly black border at the top on the backside.

They should have put a 3.5 mm TRS on the Chromecast and just skipped the Chromecast Audio altogether.
    Well, you do get a 64bit chip. The "64bit-ness" is just for show, but there are other improvements that benefit processing power. And the battery life sucks on N5, maybe this one will be better (not actually holding my breath, because the Nexus line traditionally has a poor showing in this respect).
    Also, the only way to get DDR4 right now is to go with the SD810 and I don't think you'd like that. And I'm quite happy with 8GB RAM on my desktop (even firing up a VM every now and then), so I'm not sure why you think 4GB RAM on a phone is a must. Especially on a Nexus with zero bloatware.

I'm with you on Nexus 6P and Chromecast.

Comment

I think Android hit the completely usable and acceptable point with 4.x and the Samsung Galaxy S3 or thereabouts. At this point the vendors are just driving consumers to upgrade by artificially short support cycles and by purposely omitting removable storage and replaceable batteries from phones.

The only thing that really interests me about these new phones is that they're compatible with Google's Project Fi. I don't like Google, I don't trust Google. But I like Verizon Wireless and AT&T Wireless even less, so I think Project Fi is something to consider as a way to have good wireless service and funnel money away from the American wireless looming duopoly. Wikipedia says Verizon Wireless has 135 million subscribers, AT&T Wireless has 125 million subscribers, and Sprint and T-Mobile each have about 58 million subscribers. Project Fi runs on the Sprint and T-Mobile networks.

(Edit) However, since neither new phone has a removable battery or microSD card slot, )*$%()$*&% Google, I am not getting one.
      Last edited by Michael_S; 30 September 2015, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
        Android > iOS. Android > Linux
        iOS and Android both have their strengths and weaknesses. When I want something that "just works", I use iOS/iPhone (this was the original reason I bought an iPhone and its still valid today). When I want something that I can customize or need specific app support (like Firefox or integrated GPG support), I use Android.

Comment

Ordered the 5x 32gig. Got the google fi invite last night (they must have delayed a lot of invites). Hopefully I made the right choice, my current phone usage in under 1 gig a month and still under 16gigs on my current phone drive but with a better camera I can see 16 filling quick. I figure saving ~20$ a month on my phone bill will make up for any ill will with the phone. It really should be 32gig for the 16gig price though. The missing microSD does piss me off though, would have loved to buy the 16gig and upgrade if needed, and with the sim/microSD tray it is not a size or extra ugly slot issue. The MOTO X pure would be perfect if it worked on google fi.
          Last edited by Deavir; 30 September 2015, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Well, you do get a 64bit chip. The "64bit-ness" is just for show, but there are other improvements that benefit processing power. And the battery life sucks on N5, maybe this one will be better (not actually holding my breath, because the Nexus line traditionally has a poor showing in this respect).
            Don't expect too much in terms of battery life in the 5x, the A57's are massively more power hungry than the Krait 400's from the N5, and even the A53's aren't *that* good on power. The battery is only a little bit bigger (2700 vs 2300).

Nexus 6 really was the first Nexus with a respectable battery life. If I'm easy on it, I can see 3-4 days on a charge.

Also, the only way to get DDR4 right now is to go with the SD810 and I don't think you'd like that. And I'm quite happy with 8GB RAM on my desktop (even firing up a VM every now and then), so I'm not sure why you think 4GB RAM on a phone is a must. Especially on a Nexus with zero bloatware.
            zero bloatware? Where you get that idea from? What would you call the difference between a 250 MB "AOSP" build, and a whole GIGABYTE of Nexus factory sysimage?

Comment

Android is some BIG SH.T . i took a tablet mostly for gps [it s my first mobile ] the samsung sm-p905 that has the 4G...
              i found it on the web...samsung has so many "markets" that mine is for south africa...it has android 4.4.2 and i can not update it to 5.02 while same tablets of south africa sold by vodaphone are at 5.0.2 . beside that att tablets are running 5.1.1 .

but that is not the worse thing about this sam-sun- . i took a usb ethernet plug : look what says the faq about the driver and android :
              http://www.asix.com.tw/faq.php?op=fa...1&FaqNoID=#645
              Q0005: How can I install AX88179 Linux driver on my Android tablet PC?
              A0005: No, it could not be done by end users. To install AX88179 Linux driver on your Android tablet PC, you have to recompile AX88179 Linux driver source on your target Android tablet platform and then you can install the compiled AX88179 Linux driver on your Android platform. It can only be done by the manufacturer of your Android tablet PC. Please contact the support guys of your Android platform manufacturer for further support if necessary.
              i liked when linus showed his finger ....by now he can use his two hands and plant them them in some google and samsung asses .
              i dream to install windows on the tablet....one thing is sure google should stop its os testing ...
              an ethernet plug ....lol viva linux...

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                zero bloatware? Where you get that idea from? What would you call the difference between a 250 MB "AOSP" build, and a whole GIGABYTE of Nexus factory sysimage?
                gapps.

Comment

Working...
                X