Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiser4 Ported To The Linux 4.2 Kernel

Phoronix: Reiser4 Ported To The Linux 4.2 Kernel

While there's sadly not been much in the way of new feature development activity for Reiser4, this out-of-tree file-system continues to be ported to new versions of the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If they ever want this to go anywhere they need to rename it plain and simple.

Comment

I hear it has killer performance

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        stupid hans jokes aside, reiser4 is by far the fastest and most impressive filesystem i have ever used. unfortunately my filesystem ended up getting corrupted so i sadly have been using ext4 ever since. it is too bad nobody ever cared about reiser4 enough to make it usable. maybe it is better nowadays but it sounds like nobody ever does anything more than make the old code work on recent kernels.

Comment

I would have expected a lot more updates to Reiser4 given all the free time on the original developers hands.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

While there's sadly not been much in the way of new feature development activity for Reiser4, this out-of-tree file-system continues to be ported to new versions of the Linux kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...x-4.2-Released

Comment

*crickets chirping*

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
              If they ever want this to go anywhere they need to rename it plain and simple.
              It wasn't Hans Reiser's fault that he was pushed to murder. Sharanova has been known to be a very difficult person to get along with. Linux developers don't kill for no reason only M$ and BSD "devs" do. Like the assassination attempt against Stallman in Boston.
              Last edited by jake_lesser; 28 September 2015, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Maybe the reiser4 techniques could be adopted in other systems? Btrfs is quite extensible, right?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

While there's sadly not been much in the way of new feature development activity for Reiser4...
                  I'd just like to point out these new major Reiser4 features added in last 12 months:

March 2014: Different Transaction Models - Unique feature among Linux FSes
                  Every R4 partition can be mounted as COW, Journaled or Hybrid mode so now Reiser4 can be Journaled, COW or Hybrid (default) filesystem to suit different storage devices.

May 2014: Discard support - Online TRIM

August 2014: Batch discard support - Offline TRIM (FITRIM)

February 2015: Precise real-time discard for SSD devices - TRIM - Unique feature among Linux FSes
                  When executing online trim FSes generate garbage over time since erase units in general don't coincide with file system blocks. Precise real-time discard for Reiser4 doesn't generate garbage.

February 2015: Metadata checksums
                  This is a nice example how you can easily change disk format in Reiser4 without breaking backward compatibility.

July 2015: Auto punching holes on commit

Comment

Oh please, that joke has been done to death!

Comment

Working...
                    X