Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Staging To Become A More Official Part Of Wine

Phoronix: Wine-Staging To Become A More Official Part Of Wine

Besides switching to yearly, time-based releases, the upstream Wine developers have decided to make Wine-Staging an official part of the project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That seems great, too bad nine did not make it to staging before this, now it seems more unlikely...

Comment

Thank god someone over at the Wine developers had some sense. Now if only they could work with the Gallium-Nine guys. Nobody seems to run Wine vs Windows benchmarks anymore cause if they did they'd see how horrible Wine is. It's like nearly 1/3 the performance of Windows. And that's with Wine-Staging with CSMT enabled. If their DX9 performance is this bad then why not just throw in Gallium-Nine support?

BTW gotta give credit to Penguin Recordings cause that guy does a pretty good job comparing Linux vs Windows games.
      Batman on Nvidia
      This video's focus for the benchmark is on the performance of Wine coupled with Nvidia's driver against running Batman Arkham City natively on Windows.Timeli...

Batman on AMD
      This video's focus for the benchmark is on the performance of Wine coupled with AMD's driver against running Batman Arkham City natively on Windows.Timeline:...

Comment

I think this is terrible news. Now wine-staging is gonna go to hell too. At least it had independent decision making, now that's gone. Absolutely horrible news. It was the closest thing to a fork without being total that made sense. I liked the idea it tracked upstream closely while attempting to incorporate changes upstream wouldn't. In fact I didn't think it went far enough, but at least they tried. This is nothing more than political influence. This is going to end bad.
        Last edited by duby229; 25 September 2015, 08:41 PM.

Comment

CodeWeavers should go with State Trackers. Then they can use them with CrossOver on OSX, just by porting them to Metal or Vulkan for example "instead of Gallium". Also i thing OSX already has something like Gallium.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
            CodeWeavers should go with State Trackers. Then they can use them with CrossOver on OSX, just by porting them to Metal or Vulkan for example "instead of Gallium". Also i thing OSX already has something like Gallium.
            If possible that sounds neat, another +1 for gallium

Comment

This is OK, compholio staging 2 years adventure... now when issue is somewhat gone back to the main project.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                I think this is terrible news. Now wine-staging is gonna go to hell too. At least it had independent decision making, now that's gone. Absolutely horrible news. It was the closest thing to a fork without being total that made sense. I liked the idea it tracked upstream closely while attempting to incorporate changes upstream wouldn't. In fact I didn't think it went far enough, but at least they tried. This is nothing more than political influence. This is going to end bad.
                We are still maintaining our own closely-tracked tree and making our own decisions about what things we do. The vast majority of changes are in terms of infrastructure, it doesn't make sense for us to pay for our own servers and maintain our own bug tracker when WineHQ already has resources to help us manage these things. It is very important to us to help as many users as possible and we can help more users by working together than by being completely separate. Wine Staging has a very different mission from Vanilla Wine, it is more of a proving ground for good (and bad) ideas - similar to the staging tree for the Linux kernel.

I think one of the big things you'll see in the near future is that patches that AJ doesn't think are ready for upstream will be tagged for us to help clean up and get into shape. So, if anything you should see more staging patches and more of them will make their way upstream quickly. Honestly, our goal is to keep patches in staging for as little time as possible - the sooner they get upstream the better ( less rebasing! ).

Comment

If you're right then non of their efforts will matter. Nowadays everyone and their grandma has their own special version of Wine. I was using totally different versions of Wine up until recently when I switched to Wine-Staging. I'm sure they did this cause no sane person was using the official Wine PPA. Who would? And their forum isn't willing to deal with anyone not using a modified Wine.

They start pulling this because of DX10/11 development then they have another thing coming. Plenty of other forked Wines out there. The two I was using for a while.

Wine builds patched to make certain games work better. ATTENTION: PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT A WINEHQ APPLICATION RATING BASED ON THESE PATCHED VERSIONS OF WINE. DOING SO WOULD MISLEAD PEOPLE INTO BELIEVING THAT THE GAME ALREADY WORKS WELL ON THE OFFICIAL RELEASE OF WINE, MAKING PROPER FIXES LESS LIKELY TO HAPPEN. The wine-development package addresses audio-related problems in some 64-bit games, by adding WMA decoding to wine's builtin xaudio2 libraries. (Using winetricks xact doesn't work on t...

Install Oibaf's PPA before using this. Works with DRI2 and DRI3 If you are on radeon and want to use DRI3, make sure oibaf's PPA is installed and add this to your xorg.conf, Section "Device"    Identifier "radeon"    Driver "radeon"    Option "DRI" "3" EndSection NEW: The checkbox to enable Nine is in winecfg under the Staging tab! IMPORTANT: This PPA only supports Bionic and Cosmic now Contact me at #d3d9 on irc.freenode.net

Which is great because that means soon Sarnex's Wine will essentially be Wine-Staging with Gallium-Nine support added.

Comment

I wouldn't worry. Plenty of other versions of Wine floating around like Forest's and Sarnex. Best thing of all when Wine gets all the stuff of Wine-Staging then Sarnex's Wine will get all the benefits of Wine-Staging plus Gallium-Nine.

Wine needs to get their act together. DX9 performance is horrible and DX10/11 doesn't even exist yet. And if they're going through the trouble to totally rewrite their Direct3D->OpenGL they should also make a Direct3D->Vulkan cause you know Vulkan has less overhead.

Comment

Working...
                    X