Clear All

• Licaon
    replied
    And this: http://arstechnica.co.uk/business/20...cument-format/

Leave a comment:

• Dick Palmer
    replied
    Originally posted by coder111 View Post
    It's a bit weird, and I've been reading mixed messages from Munich.

Some articles say everything is rosy and peachy and they are happy and they have saved millions.

Other articles say everything is crapping up and Linux is a massive failure and they should switch back to Windows ASAP.
    Microsoft is meddling and using their influence as well to both lobby certain officials and to publish propaganda.
    QED

MSFT has been shitting bricks about Munich's migration ever since it was announced. Remember the "under NO circumstances lose against Linux" memo? Ballmer's personal visit? That "audit" they bought from their mates at HP? Their attempt to purchase enlightenment with that "promise" that "Microsoft is planning to move its German HQ from nearby Unterschleissheim to Munich as of 2016"... etc..
    Last edited by Dick Palmer; 10 September 2015, 09:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    I really don't see how that's rude. It's actually a rather valid question since this post is effectively just about "Munich is wonderful and I want to live there", so "Why don't you?" is a perfectly valid response, and I'm curious myself.
    Munich is expensive. Trust me, I live there.

Leave a comment:

• coder111
    replied
    It's a bit weird, and I've been reading mixed messages from Munich.

Some articles say everything is rosy and peachy and they are happy and they have saved millions.

Other articles say everything is crapping up and Linux is a massive failure and they should switch back to Windows ASAP.

I don't even know what to believe any more. I guess there are different factions in Munich pulling in different directions and trying to paint everything in their own colours. I don't doubt Microsoft is meddling and using their influence as well to both lobby certain officials and to publish propaganda.

Leave a comment:

• villeneuve
    replied
    OT @Michael: In which tent was that photo shot?

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by araxth View Post

That's both rude and out of topic. About the rudeness part, i will let the US based forum members to reply. About the topic itself it appears that this is not the only initiative. According with wikipedia "Similar projects were started with varying success by parts of the Chinese government (Kylin), the French military police (GendBuntu), Amsterdam (Open.Amsterdam),[7][8]Zaragoza, Spain (AZLinux),"

In regards of Muenchen's alleged switch back to MS Windows, it appears that the rumours are based on real facts but at least for 2014, the city mayor declined such proposal (article here
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/munich-sheds-light-on-the-cost-of-dropping-linux-and-returning-to-windows/).

I hope usage of URL will not be fatal for this post.
    I really don't see how that's rude. It's actually a rather valid question since this post is effectively just about "Munich is wonderful and I want to live there", so "Why don't you?" is a perfectly valid response, and I'm curious myself.

Leave a comment:

• Ancurio
    replied
    If there was a Bavarian counterpart to the word "Weeaboo", Michael would fit it perfectly.

Leave a comment:

• araxth
    replied
    Originally posted by Dick Palmer View Post

Makes one wonder all the more WTF you're doing in Illinois then. Presumably not there for the climate?

That's both rude and out of topic. About the rudeness part, i will let the US based forum members to reply. About the topic itself it appears that this is not the only initiative. According with wikipedia "Similar projects were started with varying success by parts of the Chinese government (Kylin), the French military police (GendBuntu), Amsterdam (Open.Amsterdam),[7][8]Zaragoza, Spain (AZLinux),"

In regards of Muenchen's alleged switch back to MS Windows, it appears that the rumours are based on real facts but at least for 2014, the city mayor declined such proposal (article here
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/munich-sheds-light-on-the-cost-of-dropping-linux-and-returning-to-windows/).

I hope usage of URL will not be fatal for this post.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Palmer
    replied
    Munich, and all of Bavaria for that matter, is my utopia...
    Makes one wonder all the more WTF you're doing in Illinois then. Presumably not there for the climate?

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Munich Becomes A Big Contributor To Open-Source

Munich Becomes A Big Contributor To Open-Source

Phoronix: Munich Becomes A Big Contributor To Open-Source

The arguably best town in the world is now even better! The beautiful city of Munich has become "a major contributor to open-source."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X