Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today Should Be Linux 4.2 Kernel Day

Phoronix: Today Should Be Linux 4.2 Kernel Day

For those needing a reason to celebrate today, the exciting Linux 4.2 kernel should be released before the day is through!..

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...rnel-30-August

I found it interesting how the camera is angled

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
      I found it interesting how the camera is angled
      Yeah, I was just about to make a joke like "is food falling off a table your idea of a celebration? ".

Anyways, to the AMD guys: Does this kernel include Carrizo DPM? Because I just ordered an FX-8800P laptop, and I'd like to know what kernel I can put on it once it gets delivered in the coming week. (I think I already asked a while back, but maybe the situation changed ... and I'm too lazy to look :P)

Comment

AFAIK Carrizo DPM is in 4.2 already, so yes.

We are using 4.2-ish amdgpu for HSA work with CZ (on 4.0 kernel for now, will bump to something higher soon) and clocks appear to be behaving reasonably.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          AFAIK Carrizo DPM is in 4.2 already, so yes.

We are using 4.2-ish amdgpu for HSA work with CZ (on 4.0 kernel for now, will bump to something higher soon) and clocks appear to be behaving reasonably.
          Good to hear. I will probably write about my experience once I have the device.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

Yeah, I was just about to make a joke like "is food falling off a table your idea of a celebration? ".

Anyways, to the AMD guys: Does this kernel include Carrizo DPM? Because I just ordered an FX-8800P laptop, and I'd like to know what kernel I can put on it once it gets delivered in the coming week. (I think I already asked a while back, but maybe the situation changed ... and I'm too lazy to look :P)
            Haha. Funny.

I am wondering if AMD Kaveri takes advantage of AMDGPU in Linux 4.2 kernel. As for Carrizo, I will have to wait for Zen-based APU next year for the desktop.

Comment

I am wondering if AMD Kaveri takes advantage of AMDGPU in Linux 4.2 kernel.
              Kaveri (and all the other CI parts) are still on radeon; no plans to have them use amdgpu at this time.

As for Carrizo, I will have to wait for Zen-based APU next year for the desktop.
              Don't think we talked about a Zen-based APU next year, just Zen-based CPU. There will be an APU for desktop but not with Zen cores.
              Last edited by bridgman; 08-30-2015, 03:54 PM.

Comment

So apparently and at the time of writing, Bristol Ridge will be stuck in 28nm...

I suppose I don't mind being stuck on AMD A8-7600 APU for the time being. I might just buy an AMD GPU (mid-range as I care about power consumption and less about raw performance) just to hold me over until late 2016. My desktop M-ATX computer idles at 52 watts and peaks at 90w during power-up, so I'm using a SeaSonic SS-300 PSU.

Pardon me for going off-topic. Hopefully Linux 4.3/4.4 will support new GPUs out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Kaveri (and all the other CI parts) are still on radeon; no plans to have them use amdgpu at this time.
                  I think that's good. No point in duplicating effort if the entire point of the project is eliminating duplicate effort.

Don't think we talked about a Zen-based APU next year, just Zen-based CPU. There will be an APU for desktop but not with Zen cores.
                  Hmm, so I guess the server / enthusiast market will get Zen first?
                  Are you allowed to speak about details yet?

Comment

Working...
                  X