Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jntesteves
    replied
    Before, they were competing with the likes of Apple, Asus, HTC, LG, Microsoft/Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, Sony and 999 chinese manufacturers.
    Now they "only" have to compete with Android, Blackberry, Cyanogen OS, Firefox OS, Tizen, WebOS and Windows. And most of the above become potential partners. I think this move makes sense.
    Last edited by jntesteves; 07 July 2015, 05:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• xeekei
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    Why the doom and gloom? I thought this was always Jolla's long term plan. They can't exactly expand into OS licensing without divesting the licensing company of the hardware they're making, and there's no reason to do this unless they've got enough interest from OEMs to actually make this work.
    This is the Phoronix forums. Here, the future for any company that makes any changes is dark.

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Why the doom and gloom? I thought this was always Jolla's long term plan. They can't exactly expand into OS licensing without divesting the licensing company of the hardware they're making, and there's no reason to do this unless they've got enough interest from OEMs to actually make this work.

Leave a comment:

• murak
    replied
    Seems like the beginning of the end, sadly. I own a jolla and while it's nice it was not what I personally was waiting for. I had my hopes up for a N900-2 and I think many others had the same thought.

Leave a comment:

• axfelix
    replied
    I'm tentatively happy about this, given how difficult it must be to compete on tech manufacturing in Europe these days, and how nice it'd be for them to provide better driver support for Sailfish in lieu of a Jolla successor. We'll see.

Leave a comment:

• Akka
    replied
    Originally posted by Aeder View Post
    A mobile OS licensing business? Aren't both Android and Windows Phone practically free to license at this point?
    Not as in beer. As I understands it phone manufactures need to pay google for the closed Android software like google play.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    I'm still of the opinion Jolla would make for a pretty good SmartTV/PVR/MediaCenter OS. If they could get TV manufacturers to adopt it, the users of those products would probably be very happy with it.

Leave a comment:

• Aeder
    replied
    A mobile OS licensing business? Aren't both Android and Windows Phone practically free to license at this point?

Leave a comment:

• dh04000
    replied
    "open mobile operating system", Sailfish OS

Ha, that's a laugh. Sailfish is more closed than Android. I hope they fail.

Leave a comment:

• Jolla Announces A Split, To Focus On Sailfish OS Licensing

Phoronix: Jolla Announces A Split, To Focus On Sailfish OS Licensing

Times don't appear good at Finnish phone maker Jolla that hoped to rise from the fall of Nokia's MeeGo attempts. Jolla went public today with a focus shift at the company and they'll now be spinning off their device business...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X