No announcement yet.

Mozilla Planning Invasive Changes To The Fundamentals Of Firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mozilla needs to first fix the performance issues and stop trying to be all things to all people. Get rid of Pocket (or make it an optional install like an extension). Firefox does need to go back to its roots as a fast, stable browser yet be able to keep up with the latest web technologies but without all the fluff. Also make things easier for plugin and extension developers by having a solid, stable API. What with all the hate towards PPAPI? NPAPI is rather old tech that has become increasingly insecure thus the need for a new plugin interface that's well designed and secure yet easy to implement by extensions/plugins.

Comment

I don't think many hate PPAPI, I just think it needs some sort of transitional period. If the transition is too forced or too fast it'll piss a lot of people off.

It's not magic. It won't be snap your fingers and poof. A lot of people have a lot of time invested into their plugins. It isn't unreasonable to give those folks enough time to transition.
      Last edited by duby229; 07 July 2015, 11:07 AM.

Comment

so. lets start

1 - delete google analitics requests from firefox = +500% to speed on loading [chrome use asynch loading, firefox use synch loading, GA is super hog]
        2 - firefox on 6 tabs while developing website takes 1500 mb ram, chrome take 5x 350 mb + 3x 100mb,
        3 - firefox doesnt crash on webinspector.

for everyday use chrome is shit, not firefox, just get rid of damn google analitics https://addons.mozilla.org/pl/firefo...ics/developers

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
          so. lets start

1 - delete google analitics requests from firefox = +500% to speed on loading [chrome use asynch loading, firefox use synch loading, GA is super hog]
          2 - firefox on 6 tabs while developing website takes 1500 mb ram, chrome take 5x 350 mb + 3x 100mb,

for everyday use chrome is shit, not firefox, just get rid of damn google analitics https://addons.mozilla.org/pl/firefo...ics/developers
          Now if asynchronous page loading is implemented in FF then page load times would be perceptibly better. And agreed on getting rid of extraneous GA requests. Too many web developers just love to add in GA just to ensure their SEO is working...

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
            so. lets start

Interesting... I installed Ghostery (though I'm thinking of swapping it out for Privacy Badger) and disabled Google Analytics among other things. Firefox has been noticeably quicker. That might explain some of it. Thanks.

Comment

RESOLVED (nobody) in Core Graveyard - Plug-ins. Last updated 2022-05-16.

dev said PPAPI is basically impossible on firefox, I haven't checked their future plan about NPAPI..

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

Interesting... I installed Ghostery (though I'm thinking of swapping it out for Privacy Badger) and disabled Google Analytics among other things. Firefox has been noticeably quicker. That might explain some of it. Thanks.
                I got rid of ghostery awhile ago since it was causing issues with some sites.
                PB is excellent. You can also enable ff's built-in anti-tracker tool (initially populated by disconnect's db, iirc). There's a white paper that indicates the tool improves page loading times up to 40%.

Firefox's Tracking Protection is a new experimental feature that can actively block websites from tracking your online behavior. Learn more.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeDestructor View Post
                  Aye. Without Firefox, Chrome will be the new IE.
                  Safari is already the new IE.

Comment

Working...
                  X