Pinos Is For Linux Video What PulseAudio Is For Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Oh boy... Let's throw resources at the problem... Why not? It can waste as much as it wants right? You have a multicore processor with multiple GB of RAM right?

That's exactly what PAs problem. They try to brute force what shouldn't be done and ended up with an audio server with 50ms to 2s of latency and no possible way to predict where at in the middle it might be. The only reason people don't see it is because of gigantic buffers allocated by the -playback- software to try and hide it.

Your ignorance is appaling. I suppose you don't use any Desktop Environment and do all your work in a console, since sharing your screen with multiple windows is just brute forcing and throwing resources at the problem.

If you stop being angry at everything and use your head you should reach the conclusion that you only need to downscale if another application is already in need of higher resolution frames, in which case if you don't want to downscale you will either crop or be unable to use the second application. Just like PA tries (or should try, not quiet sure anymore) to match the output sample rate and bit depth to the input source.

If your video device doesn't support output mode switching on the fly or whatever I suppose you will be able to configure the video server to force a ceratin resolution and so on. Just like PA.

If you still don't like it, you can keep using the current technology. Just like you can still use ALSA.

Comment

Developer: Here is something I made you could use.
      Community before testing it: Oh no, more free software to choose from. Your suff sucks

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
        Developer: Here is something I made you could use.
        Community before testing it: Oh no, more free software to choose from. Your suff sucks
        Their fear is that the distros will push it on them like they do PulseAudio.

(eg. I have no need for PulseAudio but Lubuntu's ALSA QA is now so nonexistant that I was forced to use PulseAudio to get a working sound setup and I've run across the odd app like Lightspark or Skype 4.x or games like NightSky HD which depend directly on PulseAudio.)

In theory, I could still use that aoss-like PulseAudio shim to work around that and write my own asoundrc to set up a working configuration without PulseAudio's GUI... but I've been on Linux for roughly a decade now and I clearly remember how much of a painful struggle it was root out all of the audio playback glitches when writing your own asoundrc and how there was no documentation on how to find the default asoundrc for your soundcard and just tweak it to set up the parameters you want.

Comment

It's not personnal psychoticmeow, do you have an other purpose in this forum but to troll ? I rarely had pulseaudio on my system, always could use two app on the same sound card. In less than 2 minutes of googling you can find trace of bug fixing of dmix back from 2004 !
          At the same time looking at pulseaudio I could find a review from 2006 where LP was explaining how pulseaudio was bringing low latency audio to linux and such !

Not that it as anything to do with the news at hand ! I guess some people need to feed different apps with the same webcam, I never tried and though it was already feasible but apparently I'm wrong !

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

(eg. I have no need for PulseAudio but Lubuntu's ALSA QA is now so nonexistant that I was forced to use PulseAudio to get a working sound setup and I've run across the odd app like Lightspark or Skype 4.x or games like NightSky HD which depend directly on PulseAudio.)

In theory, I could still use that aoss-like PulseAudio shim to work around that and write my own asoundrc to set up a working configuration without PulseAudio's GUI... but I've been on Linux for roughly a decade now and I clearly remember how much of a painful struggle it was root out all of the audio playback glitches when writing your own asoundrc and how there was no documentation on how to find the default asoundrc for your soundcard and just tweak it to set up the parameters you want.
            There fear is feckless as they pay nothing for it.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I can't help to notice the apparent contradiction of you saying that you have no need for pulse audio on one hand but on the other hand you speak of all the pain one has to go through without it. If I misunderstood you here, you can clear that up of course.

I definitely remember the frustration before pulseaudio, especially with software outside of the standard repo. I remember having no audio after using audio in the flash player or skype and having to restart after using certain apps that messed up the sound...

Comment

Originally posted by tenente View Post
                It's not personnal psychoticmeow, do you have an other purpose in this forum but to troll ?
                My interaction with gens is simply down to the fact that he's a stubborn idiot who hasn't budged in a year of arguing.

I rarely had pulseaudio on my system, always could use two app on the same sound card. In less than 2 minutes of googling you can find trace of bug fixing of dmix back from 2004 !
                At the same time looking at pulseaudio I could find a review from 2006 where LP was explaining how pulseaudio was bringing low latency audio to linux and such !
                I had the opposite experience (hence my questions earlier), I remember that running some applications would lock others out. But I guess you're right, I just don't remember the details of how things used to work anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Yeah, and meeting that one guys needs hurt 99.999% of everyone else. Besides that one guy, who exactly would do that? And why do you think the rest of us should suffer so that he can?
                  Source, please.
                  I think you've made it very clear that pa has ruined linux for you. Do you think repeating this over and over and over and over and over makes you anything except an annoyance?

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                    This is probably going to end up bloated and slow like Totem is vs gnome-mplayer. Honestly I think that the correct way to handle a video pipelining system, should be to implement quartz composer/corevideo via gnustep/opal. The Apple video pipeline is the best one that exists. It's not going to suddenly be beaten by Linux developers trying to reinvent the wheel.
                    Gstreamer is pretty damned good. Try constructing a pipeline manually and checking out the resource consumption. It's really very very low, especially when using vaapi/vdpau (the later I assume since it's supposed to work very well).

Comment

It's not personnal psychoticmeow, do you have an other purpose in this forum but to troll ? I rarely had pulseaudio on my system, always could use two app on the same sound card. In less than 2 minutes of googling you can find trace of bug fixing of dmix back from 2004 !

Not that it as anything to do with the news at hand ! I guess some people need to feed different apps with the same webcam, I never tried and though it was already feasible but apparently I'm wrong !
                      At the time lp clearly didn't have a clue as to the state alsa was in.
                      And PA could still do low latency IF ALSA FIXED ITS PROBLEMS.
                      Thanks PA for identifying as many issues with alsa as it has since all of you complainers have been benefiting from pa development.
                      Search these forums for a more in depth discussion as to precise issues.

Comment

Working...
                      X