Pinos Is For Linux Video What PulseAudio Is For Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Or as a better idea, implement functionality the way hardware was designed. It's beyond stupid to ignore hardware design and try to brute force with software instead.
    There is blog somwhere made recently about that Fedora guy who video conf via Skype through his HiFi setup on PC, while Skype is on netbook, where PA switch in realtime to headphones during PC reboot, and back again when PC started.

If that is hardware design...

Comment

I'm just happy that multiple applications using the same camera will finally be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by psychoticmeow View Post

And where the hardware is inadequate?
        There is a really good article out there that describes pulseaudio that I can't find right now. It's clear that PA doesn't work at all like hardware does. I'm not saying supplementing hardware funtionality with software is a bad thing. What I'm saying is that brute forcing software despite hardware architectures like PA does is really stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          ^Yeah, if you want to argue that Pulseaudio was better than OSS4, dmix, arts, esd, etc., that's one thing, but if you want to pretend those things didn't exist, you're deluded.
          I'm happy someone already pointed this out. Ridiculous. Like only one app could use the sound card before Pulse. Whaaat?

Comment

Christian Schaller is either clueless, or engaging in an exercise of inexplicable and sickening history rewriting.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post

There is blog somwhere made recently about that Fedora guy who video conf via Skype through his HiFi setup on PC, while Skype is on netbook, where PA switch in realtime to headphones during PC reboot, and back again when PC started.

If that is hardware design...
              Yeah, and meeting that one guys needs hurt 99.999% of everyone else. Besides that one guy, who exactly would do that? And why do you think the rest of us should suffer so that he can?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

There is a really good article out there that describes pulseaudio that I can't find right now. It's clear that PA doesn't work at all like hardware does. I'm not saying supplementing hardware funtionality with software is a bad thing. What I'm saying is that brute forcing software despite hardware architectures like PA does is really stupid.
                I'm definitely unqualified to asses PA at that level. However I've been using it without problem for 7 years now, even when doing some non-standard stuff with it like hooking it up to jack and then using jack + a control surface to give applications physical volume controls. So perhaps at a fundamental level it works less than ideally, but it has still done its job.

Perhaps however it's time for a replacement that does as you said and supplements the hardware better. Assuming audio hardware has moved on from when PA was started.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki View Post

I'm happy someone already pointed this out. Ridiculous. Like only one app could use the sound card before Pulse. Whaaat?
                  I don't remember multiple apps being able to use the sound card at the same time before PulseAudio, but perhaps that was because of how the major distributions at the time came configured? I don't think I ever used ESD, but I could be wrong.

Comment

You mean pinos is to video recording what pulseaudio is to audio recording.... in a word, horrible.

Comment

This is probably going to end up bloated and slow like Totem is vs gnome-mplayer. Honestly I think that the correct way to handle a video pipelining system, should be to implement quartz composer/corevideo via gnustep/opal. The Apple video pipeline is the best one that exists. It's not going to suddenly be beaten by Linux developers trying to reinvent the wheel.

Comment

Working...
                      X