X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by psychoticmeow View Post

Ok, we'll switch to using sockets. Great. Now every application and it's dog has a slightly different protocol, and it's nearly impossible to interconnect things that were not designed specifically to interconnect. And throw security out the window too, because now every damn application handles that differently.

Or we could just use kdbus, which is now more capable of handling large amounts of data than dbus ever was.
    Oh I seriously can't wait for that. I'm gonna be able to say "I told you so" so hard!

As soon as dumbasses start throwing large data onto dbus, Oh the fuel I'll have against those fools.

Leave a comment:

• gens
    replied

dbus is the protocol for sending/receiving data, you're talking about specific interfaces, where as if everyone invents their own alternative to sending data via sockets you're bound to end up with a bunch of incompatible solutions using different protocols.

I mean that it is then up to each application to handle the security of its IPC, instead of relying on something that is designed exactly for that purpose. The same exact problem as above.
    what do you mean by "if everyone invents their own alternative to sending data via sockets"
    on linux you have only sockets (a few types), named/normal pipes and shm (few ways to obtain)

the msg transport layer does not matter if all you do is send/receive msgs to clients
    with UDS you can even broadcast a msg

UDS even lets you find out the PID of the sending process, from it you can find out anything about it

do give me an example of a security flaw of just sending data over UDS
    it cant be sniffed, it cant be faked, idk what you can do to compromise it

maybe you are thinking of sending data that makes the program like, idk, copy msg contents to an arbitrary address in memory ?
    i imagine that only happening with a shm protocol, if the msg parser is really broken (like, idk, telling it the data length is 10MB)

if the program tilts on a invalid msg it will tilt on an invalid msg
    that will happen if the msg was sent over UDP, TCP, UDS, dbus, fifo, whatever
    there is nothing specific to something like UDS that would make it any more or less vulnerable

thx for inciting me to validate my statements
    it made me find this handy overview of UDS

EDIT:

that reminds me that UDS needs a file somewhere
    and a filesystem is a namespace (despite what many seem to think)
    so to discover a "service" one would only need to check if the file is there
    Last edited by gens; 24 June 2015, 09:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Well, he didn't exactly say he was looking forward to merging it. I think really what he said was that he trusts the people he surrounds himself with, and so he'll merge it to keep the system working.

Leave a comment:

• psychoticmeow
    replied
    Originally posted by gens View Post
    you are still making your own IPC version, since you are sending arbitrary data over a bus
    org.mplayer.whatever is not the same as org.vlc.whatever

if you made a org.videoplayer.whatever, you made a standard "videoplayer" protocol
    but then the underlying transport protocol does not matter in the slightest
    dbus is the protocol for sending/receiving data, you're talking about specific interfaces, where as if everyone invents their own alternative to sending data via sockets you're bound to end up with a bunch of incompatible solutions using different protocols.

do explain the security part
    an example would be even better
    I mean that it is then up to each application to handle the security of its IPC, instead of relying on something that is designed exactly for that purpose. The same exact problem as above.

Leave a comment:

• gens
    replied
    Ok, we'll switch to using sockets. Great. Now every application and it's dog has a slightly different protocol, and it's nearly impossible to interconnect things that were not designed specifically to interconnect. And throw security out the window too, because now every damn application handles that differently.
    you are still making your own IPC version, since you are sending arbitrary data over a bus
    org.mplayer.whatever is not the same as org.vlc.whatever

if you made a org.videoplayer.whatever, you made a standard "videoplayer" protocol
    but then the underlying transport protocol does not matter in the slightest

do explain the security part
    an example would be even better

Leave a comment:

• gens
    replied
    Originally posted by interested View Post

No, the _protocol_ isn't complex. The reference implemenation may be because it was made to run on Linux/Unix/BSD/Windows/Mac.

Again, you are missing the point; your "solution" would never work like D-Bus unless you invent and duplicate D-Bus for your data channels. Your solution simply can't solve the problems that kdbus/D-Bus solves.

And again, if you try to add marshaling, broadcasting and message queues to your solution, you have in fact invented a new IPC that only works on Linux and isn't supported by a single piece of software.

kdbus on the other hand, will instantly upgrade the entire D-Bus-using Linux userland to a new kernel IPC, without anybody needing to change a line of code.

The kdbus solution also mean that Unix/BSD and non-systemd distros aren't left behind by systemd-distros migrating to a new IPC.

the protocols first byte is an endianness flag
    -it deals with endianness, that no sane protocol should
    -the "flag" is one byte, instead of 1 bit
    2nd byte is msg type, theres 3 (plus error and "unknown")
    3rd byte is an OR of 3 flags
    4th is the protocol version (mind you this goes in every msg)
    then there are 2 32bit paramaters, data length and a cookie
    and still no data, data comes after additional paramater fields that depend on msg type and flags

that's just a basic msg format, the protocol defines a lot more things
    maybe you are thinking about the API

and no, i never said you should reinvent broadcasting
    i specifically said that dbus should not be used for latency or throughput sensitive problems
    for example; using dbus to discover/connect to a media player is fine, while using dbus to actually transport the media is not

Leave a comment:

• psychoticmeow
    replied
    if you want to transport large amounts of data between two processes with low latency you are way better off using a plain ringbuffer+sync protocol
    or even just plain sockets, be it custom or TCP

Or we could just use kdbus, which is now more capable of handling large amounts of data than dbus ever was.

Leave a comment:

• psychoticmeow
    replied
    i think educating programmers is more important then making things easier for people who do not want to learn
    This is like arguing that we should be writing things in assembler instead of making things easier.

things like ring buffers are not really complex, it's just the general idea that they are that frightens people away from learning them
    And when dealing with the scenarios that dbus deals with this is applicable how?

Leave a comment:

• interested
    replied

this is dbus
    it is complex
    No, the _protocol_ isn't complex. The reference implemenation may be because it was made to run on Linux/Unix/BSD/Windows/Mac.

it was made to be a generic bus to make writing desktop applications easier
    it was not made to transport audio or be used for real-time interactive processes

if you want to transport large amounts of data between two processes with low latency you are way better off using a plain ringbuffer+sync protocol
    or even just plain sockets, be it custom or TCP

people want to use whatever they know how to use for everything
    but that is not always the best solution
    for example just because java is one of the more popular programming languages today does not mean we should design everything around java
    so just because desktop app programmers know dbus well does not mean that it should be used for everything

i hope you can agree with this
    Again, you are missing the point; your "solution" would never work like D-Bus unless you invent and duplicate D-Bus for your data channels. Your solution simply can't solve the problems that kdbus/D-Bus solves.

And again, if you try to add marshaling, broadcasting and message queues to your solution, you have in fact invented a new IPC that only works on Linux and isn't supported by a single piece of software.

kdbus on the other hand, will instantly upgrade the entire D-Bus-using Linux userland to a new kernel IPC, without anybody needing to change a line of code.

The kdbus solution also mean that Unix/BSD and non-systemd distros aren't left behind by systemd-distros migrating to a new IPC.

Leave a comment:

• gens
    replied
    Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Reading your comments sound like you are uninterested to read the post that responded to your question as long they don't fit your own view. In that case, it means you wasted those people time honestly.
    the post was about using dbus for performance sensitive things
    making it usable for everything and making everything use it

to quote
    "And that really is the whole point and philosophy behind kdbus; make complex things easy by abstracting the complexity away with an easy to use API, and make developing fast with libs and features."

that is what i was replying to with the "jack of all trades, master of none" argument
    i think educating programmers is more important then making things easier for people who do not want to learn
    things like ring buffers are not really complex, it's just the general idea that they are that frightens people away from learning them

do you have anything to add ?
    Last edited by gens; 24 June 2015, 06:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X