Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs By Default Will Likely Not Be Pursued For Fedora 23

Phoronix: Btrfs By Default Will Likely Not Be Pursued For Fedora 23

Last year there was talk of Btrfs potentially becoming the default file-system in Fedora 23 based upon Btrfs developer and Facebook employee Josef Bacik's plans to push it for Fedora 23 to replace EXT4 as the default file-system. However, it doesn't look like that will happen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

People are losing patience for Btrfs.

Comment

No reason to lose patience. I've been using BTRFS on all our Fedora systems (desktops, server, even Raspberry Pi) for years. It's saved us multiple times from misbehaving hardware corrupting data, so I'd never consider another filesystem that doesn't CRC at this point.

During installation, you have the option to select a default BTRFS configuration, or you can manually create your partitioning scheme. Just because it's not the default, doesn't mean that it's hard to deploy.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
        No reason to lose patience. I've been using BTRFS on all our Fedora systems (desktops, server, even Raspberry Pi) for years. It's saved us multiple times from misbehaving hardware corrupting data, so I'd never consider another filesystem that doesn't CRC at this point.

During installation, you have the option to select a default BTRFS configuration, or you can manually create your partitioning scheme. Just because it's not the default, doesn't mean that it's hard to deploy.
        Well, to be fair, XFS has CRC too. Ext4 doesn't which makes it a rather questionable choice

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
          Yeap, and it has saved me multiple times after accidentally overwriting files. Last time I recovered things from the snapshots was to recover a whole 1080p video that I had uploaded to YouTube thinking its audio was OK (played right in MPV, but not in YouTube) and had since overwritten with another episode. So it's very useful on desktops.

Comment

K. I'm using it as default anyway...
            (But please, please, pretty please, could you add an installer option for compression?)

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Well, to be fair, XFS has CRC too. Ext4 doesn't which makes it a rather questionable choice

Not for the data though. There's also some work for ext4: https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.p...data_Checksums

Comment

I still run into issues with BTRFS that require manual rebalancing. If you repeatedly create and delete large/many files, you'll run into it too.

The worst part is the silent failure. 'df' doesn't show 100% usage, but the filesystem acts as if it were full. This despite running a fedora kernel that is supposed to have the fix for autorebalancing.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

XFS has crc32 for metadata only. Ext4 also has this feature.

mmmbop

Do you use the autodefrag mount option? With that, I've not yet run into those df issues despite pretty much filling the fs, then deleting things, and refilling it, over and over again.
                  Last edited by liam; 23 June 2015, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmmbop View Post
                    I still run into issues with BTRFS that require manual rebalancing. If you repeatedly create and delete large/many files, you'll run into it too.

The worst part is the silent failure. 'df' doesn't show 100% usage, but the filesystem acts as if it were full. This despite running a fedora kernel that is supposed to have the fix for autorebalancing.
                    I haven't seen that for as long as I've been running my home NAS. It's got two WD RED 2TB drives and I set it up as BTRFS RAID-1, with Fedora 20,21,22. It's been running for at least two years, and I add and delete large torrent files from it as well as running Windows machine backups onto it.

The automatic balance seems to be working really well.

Comment

Working...
                    X