Systemd 221 Fixes Bugs, Wants Distributions To Start Shipping KDBUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stellarwind View Post
    Not really, owning a repo on github doesn't makes him a creator. Besides Linus refused to work with Sievers and rest of systemd cowboys, so he had to take over the task of pushing it through.
    Linus suspended Sievers from the kernel development due to the latter conduct according to him. That has nothing to do with the whole systemd developers you tried to insinuate. Here is Linus own message: https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/2/420ht...l/2014/4/2/420
    Find that quote that Linus blame "systemd cowboys".

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Show where that "majority does not want kdbus" when the last review for including in kernel 4.1 was done one month after the last commit on kdbus github:

Only arguments from the whole mailing list -> kdbus needs further review

For some reason this is the earliest post I could find in that mailing list thread, but it was already NACKed before this post was made.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I understand that, but he has distanced himself. Just read the logs. Honestly I think it's been pretty civil, but it's clear that kdbus is not wanted in the kernel by the majority.
        Seemed more like a vocal minority from what I saw.. And keep in mind that it isn't uncommon for kernel developers to have a kernel-centric view of the world, without really a good picture of how userspace components interact.

Anyways, I'm not an expert on dbus or various other IPC systems out there. I do know greg-kh has spent a lot of time looking into binder/dbus/kdbus, and he is a solid/sensible kernel dev that I have a lot of respect for, so I tend to trust him more if he says kdbus is the right way forward, compared to what the rest of the peanut gallery say.

Comment

Here we go...Lennart's getting pretty psychotic with this now. Why should he ram kdbus down the kernel team's throats?

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
            Here we go...Lennart's getting pretty psychotic with this now. Why should he ram kdbus down the kernel team's throats?
            You make it sound like kernel developers are weaklings who can't review and decide the merit of the code and would be frightened by a user space project requesting distributions to test it out. I haven't seen any history of that.

Comment

Does anyone know if the KDBUS API has been standardized yet? Because otherwise releasing code that is supposed to interoperate with an undecided API seems insane...

Comment

well... if linus wasnt around they could do a debian and just replace anyone they dont like with a RH person

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post

well... if linus wasnt around they could do a debian and just replace anyone they dont like with a RH person
                  So, tell us, which persons in Debian's technical committee are from Red Hat? You make the claim, you provide evidence for your claims, so go on, please.

Or are you just talking out of your ass?

Comment

you might do well to go back and read the very first comment.

Comment

You are behind the news. It is Linus Torvalds who are asking the distros to turn on kdbus so it can get more exposure and real world testing before he merge it into his kernel. This is pretty common practise for stuff that goes into the kernel anyhow.

So Lennart is only doing what Linus is asking him to do. Before that, the systemd developers had gone to great length to ensure that no distro would turn on kdbus as default.

That all major distros will turn on kdbus as default when it is merged is a given thing; it is really good stuff, just the fact that you can sniff D-Bus traffic with Wireshark when using kdbus is probably reason enough for many.

Comment

Working...
                      X