Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.1 Offers Potentially Dazzling Performance

Phoronix: Linux 4.1 Offers Potentially Dazzling Performance

Besides presenting a lot of new kernel features and functionality, the upcoming Linux 4.1 kernel release is potentially very exciting if you're an owner of certain classes of Intel hardware that offer better performance under this new kernel -- and in some cases, better battery life. Here's some tests from yet another system I found exhibiting some promising results from this new 2015 summer kernel version.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do you Micheal have any idea why i have better results in Xonotic phoronix-test-suite if i have network off?

Those minimal fps became higher something like +5 or 10%, does xonotic or suite check something while benchmarking?

I know for about audio setup overhead, but did't expect network does this too

Comment

Half kernel build time is crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
        It probably used half amount of cores previously

edit: For about xonotic via suite... yep suite does something with network - xonotic alone benhmark does not do that
        Last edited by dungeon; 06 June 2015, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Do you Micheal have any idea why i have better results in Xonotic phoronix-test-suite if i have network off?

Those minimal fps became higher something like +5 or 10%, does xonotic or suite check something while benchmarking?

I know for about audio setup overhead, but did't expect network does this too
          Only thing I can think of would be Xonotic checking fo network connectivity for updares of Xonotic... but if it really takes ~5 FPS, then wow,.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

He, he, 5 fps here, 5 fps there... top performance

Yeah it check in the middle of the benchmark if version is up to date, that is a bug anyway because it affects result... there might be some cvar to turn that off.

Comment

Michael,
              one thing that I find missing in these charts is a summary score.
              I think it would be nice to be able to get a summary score to see how it went overall.
              You could make the last stable kernel at 100% and then compute each test score and average them at the end (that's just one way of course)

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                The word I'd use is "unbelievable".

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                  Michael,
                  I think it would be nice to be able to get a summary score to see how it went overall.
                  You could make the last stable kernel at 100% and then compute each test score and average them at the end (that's just one way of course)
                  From the OpenBenchmarking.org result file you can look at the geometric sum and other options via the analyze tab... For any other options, patches are welcome as I'm no stats expert, etc, while the software is open-source.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                    Michael,

Yes, I've been suggesting this for long

MIchael added a lot of nice functionality, like normalization of results. You can play on the Analyze tab:
                    OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

However, the resulting geometric means make no sense. There is some bug. If I take, for instance, all the numbers in the last column, for these tests, the geometric average I get is arround 1.14, which means that kernel 4.1 is around 14% faster than 3.18 according to these tests. However, he's getting 0.96, that is, 4% slower, it doesn't make any sense. I wish I had time to debug and fix this. Sigh.

But back to your point, yes, if I were you, I would show a summary of that sort, besides some important plots.

Comment

Working...
                    X