No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Continues Running Strong Past 1,200 Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

> "It will be interesting to see how many Linux games are found on Steam by the time the Steam Machines start rolling out in October"

about 6 months away + ~100 titles per month = ~600 more titles

~1200 + ~600 = 1800 titles

By Xmas should be like 2000 titles, which is Not a bad number for a new type of platform / concept.

Originally posted by johnc View Post

I thought that was the point of Steam Machines. You know: proprietary, closed consoles are kind of anachronistic and we might as well just move the industry over to living room PCs on open platforms. Whatever happened to that?
    Not sure if Steam machines will succeed this generation, but the controller and mini-steam streaming machine (aka steam link) will surely sell out.

Linux could take on Apple as the second platform of choice within a few more years. Linux (specially ubuntu) is becoming a much more reliable and easy to use platform.

Being ~$100 less than windows makes it more competitive in price against consoles to build or buy a pre-made linux/steam machine.

They will need some incentives like time exclusives and good marketing so more console junkies can learn how much $ you can save by purchasing in steam sales or even steam key bundles.

Then in time our platform might just become an "overnight success":

Comment

So by Xmas there should be like 2000 games, not a bad start.

I thought that was the point of Steam Machines. You know: proprietary, closed consoles are kind of anachronistic and we might as well just move the industry over to living room PCs on open platforms. Whatever happened to that?
      This Gen will most likely be a slow uptake, apart from the Steam controller and steam link probably selling out right away.

What will become a great platform is linux as whole, which could overtake apple as second in the next few years.

Not paying the $100 windows tax also makes steam machines more attractive and competitive against console price points. When the number of games reaches 3k or 4k+ in next couple of years, SteamOS and desktop linux will be that much more attractive.

Indeed we will need some time or beta exclusives for those who invested in steam machines/ linux/ steamOS. Also marketing how much in the mid / long run you save with steam sales and/or steam key bundles.

Consoles took a lot of features from PC, even it's hardware and architecture advantages, so why can't we take some of their features back? There's a very thin line these days.

The way linux is progressing am sure In time we too could become another overnight success:

Comment

Let me explain it like this: I use distro which they use for a SteamOS base. From Debian POV I and SteamOS we are the same - users. So I and SteamOS, we are Debian users but we differ.

On their SteamOS I want to use radeon, but i can't they push me fglrx. radeon is not an option because my hardware is new and stack they provide is really old.

On the other side let say I wants to buy AMD based Steam Machine, but no there is not an option like that.

Now what? If they push me what software i will use and if they push me what kind of hardware i will use... what the heck is open there? If this is some kind of open platform i will happily just piss in it
        Last edited by dungeon; 06 June 2015, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Do you believe everything that Roy@AMD posts on Twitter?

This is straight from the devs' mouths, which is probably much more reliable information than that which comes from AMD's Damage Control department:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressr...rification.php
          The thing with PCars and games works is that unless gameworks gets GPU acceleration like on Windows it won't play on Linux worth a squat. Just as it is gimped on AMD GPU's since the physx (nvidia) calculations have to run on the CPU. AMD did some work to get their drivers to work better with the game but the performance is still quite sad. I believe this to be bad practice regardless of Roy or JHH or Lisa Su or who ever says what I literally formed my own opinion. I was ironically quoting Linus who came to the same conclusion, @#!@ you nvidia. As to your link full of lies...
          "? Project CARS is not a GameWorks product. We have a good working relationship with nVidia, as we do with AMD, but we have our own render technology which covers everything we need."
          http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/tag/nvidia-gameworks straight from the horses mouth.

"? NVidia are not "sponsors" of the project. The company has not received, and would not expect, financial assistance from third party hardware companies."

While they may not of received $$$. They certainly put a lot of green logos in the game... wonder why. On semiaccurate I believe someone said it was due to Nvidia advertising the game for them. Which comically can be seen as a form of payment. Oddly why do you think this viewpoint exists? Is it the poor AMD performance? The green logos everywhere? or both?

Also the bit about them working with AMD from the start has proven to be a stretch but do your own research.

Seriously John, nothing against you and I don't want this to be something you take as parroting. There is something rotten with Nvidia and has been for a while. If you don't want to see it as anything other than a delusional opinion that's your damage... enjoy your nvidia video card I am sure you own (or was gifted)

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

One can play B4 and GTA5 on P4, X1 or PC B4 is also Mantle optimized title, etc... For those titles, one don't need PC if he have P4 or X1. As a PC user for those you don't need CF only if you dont want 4/5K today or if game offer higher setting then what consoles can do... well then PC is affordable.

Of course now one can select similar priced PC components (without controller, etc... and without console itself ) which perform roughly on par with consoles, after 18 months from their releases dates easely. On release date of those it was impossibile .

That is PC argument for centuries 18 months after release my rig is faster for the same price and i can do a lot what consoles can't do

In the meantime good AAA titles mostly always first goes there.... my point is if you want AAA titles on Day One use consoles .

edit: forgot to mention for console users GTA5 is really boring news, it was available on september 2013 on PS3. Top selling argument for PC is 60fps on 4K on capable hardware of course and was released 6 months after P4 version, blah, blah...

Well, to be honest the PC edition of GTA V is the definitive edition of the game as a whole. Rockstar said it themselves. It is in fact probably the best console port I've seen (maybe with the exception of Valkyrie but I haven't played it personally). I'll argue with you that your point about the hardware of PCs on the time of release of the current generation of consoles. You are absolutely on point when it comes to PS2 and PS3 for example. As a matter of fact last gen consoles were so good that they nearly killed PC gaming. However, current gen was underwhelming from day one. They actually had sort of a campaign trying to convince people that it wasn't about graphics or frame rates - it was about games and the community. Problem is - neither Xbox, nor PS had any good exclusives and their online play is paid for. Current gen consoles are a real joke and people are only playing them out of habit and because they do not want to bother with the hassle of PC gaming.
            Btw somebody mentioned that Linux gaming was more about the indie game experience. I'll say this - if they released GTA V for Linux, it would be the top selling game on Steam for Linux for the next half an year.

Comment

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
              Well, to be honest the PC edition of GTA V is the definitive edition of the game as a whole. Rockstar said it themselves. It is in fact probably the best console port I've seen
              They broke all the sales records and that was all happened on consoles. Now Rockstar when full of money taken from console users took thier time to made PC version proper.

That is nothing a like when one or few newbie anonimuses, nearly without money trying to port a game for the first time to linux and blame fglrx all along the watchtower because they don't have money for a card from that vendor

I'll say this - if they released GTA V for Linux, it would be the top selling game on Steam for Linux for the next half an year.
              Rockstar never made any game for Linux and they won't do it for ideally 0.05% of users
              Last edited by dungeon; 06 June 2015, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Rockstar never made any game for Linux and they won't do it for ideally 0.05% of users
                Of course. I was speaking hypothetically to make a point. There are a lot of people who claim Linux gaming doesn't need AAA titles and the indie market was more than enough. I'm just saying, that if it were to be ported these very same people would jump on it as if they had diabetes and there was insulin inside it.

Comment

As a matter of fact last gen consoles were so good that they nearly killed PC gaming.
                  Consoles have never been "so good that they nearly killed PC gaming". Not last gen nor any gen. People have said that PC gaming is dead since the beginning but it has never been true. What happened is that during the XBox360/PS3 era and slightly before it is an attempted assassination of the PC gaming industry and by the end the blooming of the PC into the most powerful force in gaming.

What happens began with the big name PC game companies: Sierra, Origin, Westwood Studios, etc being absorbed by EA, Activision, and Ubisoft, and LucasArts due to changes in management going console, and Id waned in power after falling silent. These 3 then decided to strangle the PC Gaming market with DRM, under the false premise of piracy on the platform.

The sheer viciousness of the DRM schemes led to Steam becoming popular eventually to effectively having a monopoly, because while it limited user rights it did so in a manner that was bearable. Were it not for Steam either the trio would have been forced to stand down and go DRM-Free, or more likely they would have ended sales of PC games for a time. S.T.A.L.K.E.R., The Witcher, and other PC-Exclusive titles would have still existed but the market would have been severely diminished.

After the success of The Witcher, CD Projekt Red created GoG as effectively a legal version of The Home of the Underdogs, with the additional premise of being DRM-Free and pro-gamer (in part by bringing back "feelies"). This is important for three reasons, first off it established that older PC games could be cash-cowed and that PC games were long term investments. Second off, it reasserted the viability of a DRM-Free market. Third Steam and GoG played off each other leading to the current system of having sales that exists on both platforms, which increased the popularity of both platforms. The force of these platforms caused the triopoly to reconsider their position and the PC started picking up steam again.

Enter Kickstarter, Humble Indie Bundle, and the rest of the indie scene at large. The Triopoly was now beginning to break as the power of digital distribution and crowd funding started to take hold. Old important names from PC Gaming began to come back, and dead genres began seeing rebirth.

The force of this led to EA and Ubisoft creating their own distribution platforms, in an attempt to vie for the market space. Now in the era of the PS4 and XBone, the PC is regarded as the premier platform and GabeN has embarked on a mission to bring the filthy console peasants into the fold of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race and in doing so to unify the realm.

Comment

Let me explain it like this: I use distro which they use for a SteamOS base. From Debian POV I and SteamOS we are the same - users. So I and SteamOS, we are Debian users but we differ.

On their SteamOS I want to use radeon, but i can't they push me fglrx. radeon is not an option because my hardware is new and stack they provide is really old.

On the other side let say I wants to buy AMD based Steam Machine, but no there is not an option like that.

Now what? If they push me what software i will use and if they push me what kind of hardware i will use... what the heck is open there? If this is some kind of open platform i will happily just piss in it
                    I am using Steam on an AMD based laptop using open source drivers, running on Fedora, and playing the games using a Dual Shock 3 controller. How much more open do you want the platform to be?!

Comment

Working...
                    X