Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam On Linux Continues Running Strong Past 1,200 Games

Phoronix: Steam On Linux Continues Running Strong Past 1,200 Games

In addition to the Steam Linux news this week that the Steam Controller and Steam Machines is up for pre-order and the Steam Linux usage has dropped to an all-time low, I noticed the Linux game count is well past 1,200 titles...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

*In b4 johnc comes to bash SteamOS and Steam Machines.*

Comment

I hope there won't be too many AMD machines among them, it will completely ruin the start, considering the state of the newly released beta drivers...

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        I hope there won't be too many AMD machines among them, it will completely ruin the start, considering the state of the newly released beta drivers...
        Why do you hope for that?
        OSS AMD is running great for most ppl.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          They have a (then rummored) plan to ban AMD hardware from steam machines project going back to 2013. (search a little and you will find those) it has nothing to do with new or any AMD drivers.

nvidia driver specific variabiles used for performance in some singlethreaded old engine games by default and nvidia specific alignment on some places (even in their compositor) in SteamOS prove the complete AMD ban is true.

So nope it has nothing to do with a AMD drivers, but with thier business decision about steam machines - it is consolitis driven one.
          Last edited by dungeon; 06 June 2015, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Only one of the top selling games on steam is steamOS compatible.

Maybe some devhouses are waiting to see if it worth the effort but I won't be getting a steambox until the likes of Lego and co appear (family like games). But I have ordered a controller and the link so I can play batman in the living room

Comment

It's impressive but still way to little. There is a painful lack of AAA titles. And don't forget that PC gaming is not just Steam - there are Origin and Battlenet. Even the few promised Linux ports do not see Day One releases. Even worse - a lot of games are starting to get dropped - there will be no Van Helsing port, the Endless Legend port is frozen, so is the Divinity one. A lot of the developers are starting to back away and to wait and asses the situation. Between the expensive hardware, driver support problems and extremely few triple A titles for the platform I don't see Linux Steam Machines having any appeal come November. Valve have been taking their sweet time and now it seems it might be too late for Steam OS. Unless they've been secretly working on Half Life 3 I don't see thing going anywhere. On the look of it - they don't really care anymore. Any who could blame them - manufacturers can just use modded Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
                It's impressive but still way to little. There is a painful lack of AAA titles. And don't forget that PC gaming is not just Steam - there are Origin and Battlenet.
                Well, Origin and Battlenet and many others simply does not support Linux. While there are other stores who support Linux other then Steam, Michael does not spoke about them for reason unknown to me

Yeah looking globally Linux gaming is much limited when compared to Windows, but that might depend on people and what is enough. Kids have more fun with Wii U. Playstation 4, XBoX have exclusives too. PC gaming is huge but i don't agree PC gaming is all about demanding and modern good looking Day One AAA titles which needs quad crossfire profile support so that those games can try to breath a bit... some poeple might play a lot of casual titles, i also count them as PC gamers

More games for Linux on Steam means, more posibility for xyz people using linux can found game which they like to play - which is cool to me ... of course some people will be unsatisfied anyway because Mario's princess is in another castle
                Last edited by dungeon; 06 June 2015, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Well Steam machines might get a rough start but on the long run I'm pretty optimistic against the other consoles. Personally I'm waiting to play Project Cars with SteamVR this year. I won't need a steambox but rather connect my PC with HDMI to my 4k TV.

Comment

Of course I am very supportive of this initiative, but I fear that it might give the "Steam" brand a bad rep for people who buy it when it launches. As of now, it just makes more sense to install Windows 10 on these machines: you will have to pay more up front for the OS, but in the long run you will have access to a *lot* more games.

Where Valve can make Linux more enticing is:

1) Slash the cost of games! Give SteamOS gamers 50% on all or most titles. Or give buyers of Steam Machines $200 credit on the Steam store. Seriously. Make it *very* worthwhile. Because currently it's not worthwhile.

2) Exclusives. I always said this, but if Half Life 3 launches exclusively for Linux for the first 6 months, the world would change.

Comment

Working...
                    X