Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenCV 3.0 Released: The Most Functional & Fastest Yet

Phoronix: OpenCV 3.0 Released: The Most Functional & Fastest Yet

Version 3.0 of the Open Computer Vision library is now available. The release announcement reads, "With a great pleasure and great relief OpenCV team finally announces OpenCV 3.0 gold release, the most functional and the fastest OpenCV ever. And yet it’s very stable too – all the thousands of tests that we created during the project + many new tests pass successfully on Windows, Linux and Mac, x64 and ARM."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And no where do you say what it is or does...

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      That's because the vast majority of people who would have any interest in it already know what it does. OpenCV isn't that new anymore.

The more important detail that isn't included is what [accelerated] hardware is compatible with it, besides ARM.
      Last edited by schmidtbag; 04 June 2015, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Computer Vision library

Comment

I wonder if 3.0 has async frame grabbing, the lack of which I've always regarded as a very odd oversight. If the cam records at low frame rate, or the driver is crappy and slow, the entire application will be bottlenecked by it. cvGrabFrame/cvQueryFrame are blocking calls. So you have to use threading, which causes all sort of application design issues, for example if you want to upload the frame to OpenGL texture, especially without doing a copy (important on light-weight embedded platforms). GL texture uploads are non-thread safe (although risky, it works for me under controlled circumstances) and requires GL context switching. So you end up with threads, mutexes, copies and generally a whole lot of pain that could be avoided if cvQueryFrame & co would simply return immediately if no new frame data is available from the camera device. But I guess that has a technical reason...
          Last edited by Remdul; 04 June 2015, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
            I wonder if 3.0 has async frame grabbing, the lack of which I've always regarded as a very odd oversight.
            It is even more annoying when you are processing video, and just want to process the frames as fast as possible. The frame rate is irrelevant in that case, and just makes everything run at most in the speed of the video.

Comment

Working...
            X